Gear Purchasing/ Planning Out, Need Advice

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

stratmaster713

Gear Purchasing/ Planning Out, Need Advice

Post by stratmaster713 »

Gear Purchasing/ Planning out

What I want:
*Home studio that doubles as band practice room w/ atleast 2 AUX sends for monitors
*Record 8 Tracks simultaneously to a computer
*Compatible with Cubase 5/ Windows Vista, Windows 7

Gear I Have right Now:
*Mackie SRM450 and SRM350 monitors for band practice
*Mackie 1604 VLZPRO mixer (barely used) [4 aux sends]

My Problem:
*Should I sell the 1604 VLZPRO mixer now and purchase a Mackie Onyx 1604i so I can track 16 inputs simultaneously AND have 6 AUX sends at the same time? [this way I would be able to use the board for practice, recording, and Live]

OR

*Should I keep the analog 1604 VLZPRO and use it as a monitor mixer paired with a separate audio interface such as Echo/ Motu/ etc....?? This method I would need to purchase 2 audio interfaces because typically they are 8 channels/each. Or only record 8 inputs at once with only 1 unit.

Image VSImage
gullfo

Re: Gear Purchasing/ Planning Out, Need Advice

Post by gullfo »

I would keep it and use it for the monitor mixer. Just tap the inputs needed off your patch panel. Then get the onyx for your recording needs and feed the sends/returns via the patch panel so you can tap them. Your remaining audio is then fed via the FireWire. Another option if you need automation on the mixer - consider something like an m-audio device which has I/o and automated sliders and recall etc.
Glenn