Male XLR Panel in the control room?

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

hhsdrew123

Male XLR Panel in the control room?

Post by hhsdrew123 »

I'm pretty sure I know the anwser to this question but just wan to make sure. In my control room I mainly want Male xlr's in my wall panel? yes? I have 45 different channels coming from the live room/drum booth to my control room. I feel like I'm missing/forgetting something. Any suggestions?
gullfo

Re: Male XLR Panel in the control room?

Post by gullfo »

in most cases the patch panels are female connectors as its less likely to damage them (replacing male connector on the panel is harder than just getting another patch cable). but it also depends on your equipment. having patch cables of M-M or F-F is not a big deal but if you have equipment which has a predominance of either, then it might be easier to have a patch panel which corresponds.
Glenn
adam

Post by adam »

Really!? In this part of the world, I've never seen the standard violated by using female connectors on outputs for damage protection.

My suggestion would be to wire XLR panels the same way they're wired universally on gear, such that signal always passes from male to female.
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

my point on damage is bent pins... like i said, depending on your equipment you may need a mix of them or more of one type over another to keep things neat. plus your gear might use a d-sub or other connector not just XLR even though the source could be...
Glenn