UAN - new Control Room build

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

RJHollins

Re: UAN - new Control Room build

Post by RJHollins »

Thank-you Stuart ... Always nice to hear from you. :)

I've been following [behind the scenes] the messages here on the forum.

To update ... We have SOLD our current house. As it turns out, the Control Room was the major buying factor as the new owners are music teachers at local schools. They also have a Christian folk group. They were amazed to find a room already designed.

DESTINY. 8)

Construction of our new home is well underway. I've been able to get some sneak peeks inside [getting rough measurements and photos].

I've started my SketchUP layout with what I know at this point. I look to start a 'New Build' thread for this soon.

I so much look to your views/perspectives and advice/guidance ... and is much appreciated.

Sincere THANKS !

RJHollins
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

I just came across your thread again today by accident, RJ, and I'm really curious about your new house... and new studio!! :)

- Stuart -
Cram

Post by Cram »

RJHollins wrote:Progress report ...
In particular, the thread from 'CRAMs basement jam room'. I saw
many similar issues to my basement. Not only that, but his 'documentation' made me envious.
When I read that he & his bros were jamming away without bothering anyone ... I was
re-enthused, and even more particular in the workmanship. Of course, those guys look like
they know their construction.
Hey now! I had searched the site to find my build log to share with a friend and your mention came up. I realize this is some years later, but appreciation is still here: thank you!

Our room still performs quite well.
RJHollins

Post by RJHollins »

Wow ... just revisiting my original build thread ... mostly the concluding post.

Why ...

Well ... if I was to tell you what a rough past year+ it has been, I am quite certain that others have felt the same or more.

Throughout all this, I've still manage to do some Audio Mastering work, at are [then and still] new House. At the same time, taking care of our one and only ... Mama.

Earlier last Spring She had fallen at Church, and really hurt Herself [head injury]. She battled through this past year ... but I could She is was declining.

This past Jan 7th was Her time, suffering what turned out a massive stroke. With the internal brain damage already done, we were given no choices ... Doctors, Surgeons saying there is nothing that can be done. We were left with that final decision.

At the Hospital, they treated Her like Royalty.

We were some of the only Visitors allowed on the Floor ... telling us no restrictions.

Mama was the Senior Head Nurse for Labor and Delivery since back in the days when the Nuns ran the place.

They gave Her a Private Room ... and passed at the end of the week, in a place she loved. [that and having 7 kids could have been additional incentive].

Still adjusting to Her being gone.

She leaves me in a beautiful Home, and a Family fully appreciative of the years past taking care of Dad and Mom.

Although I have been reflecting on all this ... and definitely not sleeping right ... I try to keep that to a minimum, and not dwell too long ... I have to kept my Mind and Body busy. There is much I want to yet accomplished.

And the reason I have come back to this Forum.

At this new House, I slowly began piecing together a 'mock' Control Room [and I use that term rather loosely].

I had kept all the acoustic treatment that I used from the original UAN Control Room. [Broad panels, Clouds, Chunky Corner wedges]. That was a lot of work getting and putting those things together ... and worth more than the money offered ... plus ... I planned to re-use them.

The new Room will be in the 'finished' section of the basement. It is a much larger Room than I had before ... and now with 8' ceilings.

This will be quite a different design requirement than before.

The major difference ... I'm not even considering sound proofing this from the rest of the house [upstairs]. The cost would be enormous, and honestly ... at my senior age ... the time and strength !! yeah ... that 5/8" type-X can leave a lasting impression.

I'll not go into any details in this current thread ... but rather, using this thread as a jump off point to a New Design, Build Thread.

I've already had my Sketchup stuff put together [for what is my current setup].
I need to take some Photos of the Room,
and later this week, I am re-shooting the Room, as I've made some adjustments/changes since the last shoot a few years back.

Looking to make a positive move forward ... with a brand new Thread.

Thank-you,

Sincerely,

RJHollins [Up All Nite Studio]
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

Hi RJ - sorry for your loss.
you will come out of this ok. and welcome back.
Glenn