I'm baaaaack!!!

Get your "what mic?" frustration or "have you heard" out here. The language could get real okka in here mate.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

Sjokolala

I'm baaaaack!!!

Post by Sjokolala »

10 years ago I finished building and said "NEVER AGAIN!!!"
Now I'm afraid I'm gonna be at it again. Moving from a 1750sq. ft place to an 8200 sq ft place.
From 1 control room, 1 tracking room and 1 booth to 2 control rooms, 1 large and 1 small tracking room and 3 booths. (and a sound stage, but that's a different worm.

Main control room is Chris Pelonis designed, 20 x 24 x 13 with a pair of soffit mounted Tannoy 215-DMT's It was saved and removed carefully from a closing facility. I have used the room for mixing and mastering and love it. Re-erecting it should take 3 weeks and the erction will be done by the same team which build and removed it, so that's cool too!

Next I want to design & build another, slightly smaller control room. Mainly for mixing and mastering. This system will house my JBL LSR surround system with subs.

Thinking of having a central machine room between the control rooms. I don't have any computer noises in my room now and don't want them in the future!

Next, tracking rooms. Currently I have drums on a de-coupled stage with a bass-trap in the roof and plenty of diffusion around it. The roof is hinged ( big sound roof up, tight sound roof down )
Works like a dream, so something similar, but with a glass / perspex wall so it can be closed if we don't want any bleed-through.
Then, one room for the grand,opening up into the main tracking room.
One vocal / amp booth, perhaps 2.
Main tracking room with plenty of height (room height is almost 14') and plenty of bass trapping.
most likely again straw panels for diffusion.

I'm thinking of placing the whole lot on rubber (recycled car tires)
and having the drawing pre-fabbed using agriboard

Any ideas, John? Anyone?
You can see some pics of my current set-up at www.myspace.com/sjoko
John helped me making many good decisions on that one.
leon.payne

Re: I'm baaaaack!!!

Post by leon.payne »

read the posting rules
SquarePants

Post by SquarePants »

Welcome back sjoko! Did you forget your old password?
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Hi Sjoerd - welcome back mate. Can't say I understand your latest project. Care to be more specific??

cheers
john
John Sayers Productions

If this site helps you build your studio please use the Donate button.
Sjokolala

Post by Sjokolala »

Yes John,
I'm going to take some measurements of the place within the next couple of days.
The space itself is 8200 square ft. Half of it will be sound-stage for film / video, the other half recording studio.
The only given is one control room, which was designed by Chris Pelonis and built in a modular fashion so it could be broken down and erected somewhere else. Used to be in a friend's studio, I've worked in it and its a good room.

For the rest I am looking to end up with 2 control rooms, one machine room, a large tracking room and 2 or three booths. One smaller one for vocals and/or guitars, one larger one for the Grand. The latter needs sliding doors so the animal can be wheeled into the main room.