Sub Placement: Sub-to-Console Distance

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

Angels

Sub Placement: Sub-to-Console Distance

Post by Angels »

I'm re-organizing my room in anticipation of getting a proper subwoofer. My melamine desk is 5' wide, 30" deep, and stands 30.5" tall. The back of this desk is mostly closed with an 8.5" opening at the bottom. I've gotten good results with this room by putting my listening location about 6-7 feet from the front wall.

Typically a single sub is placed at the front of the room, offset from the Center speaker (in a 5.1 setup). That would place it about 3 feet from the back my desk, so it'll be firing right at the desk's back , perpendicular to a mostly flat surface. I know bass is mostly non-directional in a closed space (< 80 Hz), but isn't this obstruction going to have consequences? Logic says yes, but practice?

I'd appreciate any perspective anyone can give me on this. Are studio desks usually open underneath? Should I get another desk? Or is this an irrelevant consideration?

Thanks!
sofiadavis1

Re: Sub Placement: Sub-to-Console Distance

Post by sofiadavis1 »

Honestly saying me confuse after read on Sub Placement: Sub-to-Console Distance I will find more about this because I had no vast knowledge about this hope this helps me to expand my knowledge towards subject.