Patch Bay fun

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

D3lta

Patch Bay fun

Post by D3lta »

So I've searched this forum all over the place until my eyes burned for my answer, but am still confused. I want to eventually wire a patchbay, to a series of XLR jacks, and a couple of 1/4" jacks. I believe I need a balanced patchbay, and it needs to be wired normaled. If that is correct, what should the actual soldering look like? I've been looking for pictures of soldered bays, and XLR jacks, but they're difficult to see and they don't tell me what wire is what.

Also, how easy is it to use a snake, and to cut the connectors off and wire them to the patchbay, leaving the inputs of the snake ready to go?
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Patch Bay fun

Post by Soundman2020 »

I believe I need a balanced patchbay, and it needs to be wired normaled.
Assuming that you are talking about using a balanced 1/4 TRS patch panel, you usually don't "wire" it normaled, you BUY it normaled. The patch panel itself has pairs of TRS jacks in modules, and each pair is normaled. Some manufacturers provide a switch or jumper on the modules themselves so you can use each one as normaled, half-normaled or not normaled.
If that is correct, what should the actual soldering look like?
That depends on the manufacturer. Some provide punch-down connectors, some solder connections, some screw terminals, and some just have TRS jacks on the rear side too.

- Stuart -