Building vocal booth, internal walls...?

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

jpgetty2win

Building vocal booth, internal walls...?

Post by jpgetty2win »

hi people, very nice to "meet" you all. look forwardto become part of the community!

im going to be building a small vocal booth so that i can sketch vocal and melodic ideas in. i live with others so i cant really be screaming my head off at 3am when theyre sleeping in the next room! lol

now its only going to be small due to the size of my "control room" and dont want to make it too big and put the room dynamics out of whack by transforming the shape of the room. i feel about 28" internal space for me to stand in will be enough for me to be able to still move my arms about and manouver normally.

i "think" (open to suggestions) that i will build the main structure out of wood poles in the corners, im going to make the wall thickness 4" deep to accept 2 panels of 2" rockwool. i will then cover the exterior with some chipboard panels.
now for my question.. what should i place on the other side.. the internal walls? should i just use chipboard again and then cover that with some kind of insulation (any ideas of what to use would be great) or should i use some other kind of panel to cover the internal walls??

many thanks for any advice given!!
JoeHorton

Re: Building vocal booth, internal walls...?

Post by JoeHorton »

Hi there, Welcome to the site.
John has drawn a vocal booth plan in Sketch Up which can be found here.
Gash

Post by Gash »

Hi and welcome.

If you need more help than what is provided in John's skp-file then, if you are able to, please provide us with some more information about the room in which you plan to make this smaller vocal booth. If you know how to use the program SketchUp, that's a great way to kick things off! :) Even if you don't know how to use sketchup, a simple plan of your room would be good to have.

Also, there is a sticky which is good to read. You can check it out here.

Best regards,
Peter
Who knows what might happen... if you actually put some effort into it...
jpgetty2win

Post by jpgetty2win »

hi guys thanks for the interest and help!

sorry for not giving enough info for you. the sketch software looks great. ill have to spend some time on it before i can produce anything fantastic but ill certainly start a more detailed design with it for you! heres a plan of my room (yes that is my bed.. lol) please ask if you need any other details!

http://bigfish.fileave.com/room%20booth%20setup.bmp

:yahoo:
Gash

Post by Gash »

Hi again,
What you might want to consider is that the quality of the response you get on this forum is almost always in direct proportion to the ammount of work you are willing to put in yourself.

I am most likely as far away from being a professional studio builder as anyone can be... so do not take my word for it... but I am almost certain that if you put more effort into your project description you will be amazed at the response you might receive.

Here are, just a few, ideas:
  • Budget - How much are you planning to spend on your project?
  • Dimensions - If there are none, it is not easy to work out any real plans.
  • References - Start plowing through the enormous ammount of already available solutions. By using references to older posts and asking questions regarding similarities with your own build you indicate that you are ready to spend the time researching your proposed ideas.
This information is also available in the stickies.

Best regards,
Gasher
Who knows what might happen... if you actually put some effort into it...