Bunnings Insulation - Suitable Broadband Panel Absorber?

Find out where to get building materials in your local area. If you find a good outlet post it and others will be able to access it through the search engine.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

John Sayers
Site Admin

Re: Bunnings Insulation - Suitable Broadband Panel Absorber?

Post by John Sayers »

Great - Higgins was started up in Toowoomba by some farmers when the price of wool dived in the early 90s and they had all this wool to get rid of and wanted to value add. They started producing wool insulation - I used it at Music Farm when they were about to record Olivia Newton John and wanted the studio to be environmentally perfect.
DwaneHollands

Post by DwaneHollands »

So do you think his advice about the 20kg/m3 at 85mm is sound (no pun intended)...

regards,

Dwane
Dwane Hollands

Hollands Print Solutions
www.hollands.com.au
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

yes
DwaneHollands

Post by DwaneHollands »

OK, any other Australian suppliers of 'non-itchy'(polyester based?) type 32kgm3 or close at 50mm thick in 450mm x 450mm squares. I'm after 32 panels. To start with.

The two suppliers mentioned in the thread won't get back to me. I'm sure it's because it's a small fry order. But, I seriously can't wait any longer and need another option. I've actually got a customer who's interested in this as a product. Broadband panel absorber that is.
Dwane Hollands

Hollands Print Solutions
www.hollands.com.au
iainh

Post by iainh »

Would Tontine Acoustisorb 3 50mm 48kg/m polyester be suitable John?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Tontine-Acoustis ... 35aa219702
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

seems ok Iain - everyone is trying to avoid glass fibre based insulation, especially 'within the room' treatment.
John Sayers Productions

If this site helps you build your studio please use the Donate button.
najsion

Post by najsion »

The company with that ebay listing is good to deal with and there pricing is pretty competitive also.
I'm about to place an order with them myself.
DwaneHollands

Post by DwaneHollands »

Thanks everyone! I've made contact with that eBay seller. Since I'm in the NT, things are more expensive to send, however she's found a Bradfords dealer in Darwin who will be able to bring in a slightly different product called SoundStream. 40kgm3 and 1350 x 430mm size. So it means I'll have to make my panels a little smaller (instead of 450mm x 450mm) but at this stage I'll be glad to get any insulation. (oh it's not glasswool so it's safe to handle etc)

Many thanks for heads up about this seller! Thanks guys!
Dwane Hollands

Hollands Print Solutions
www.hollands.com.au
DwaneHollands

Post by DwaneHollands »

OK I heard that bradford make a product called Soundscreen. I've managed to talk to the bradford local distributer who supply to Bunnings. So i've got some 75mm thick x 430x1350mm which I think I'll just settle for. Can't afford to wait any longer. It's a 32.5kgm3 product so that's plenty I believe.

Bunnings even have it in stock! It has 6 panels of 1350x430mm per bag. Each bag is $37.50 each.

I'm getting three bags to start with. I'm pretty happy about the price and don't have to worry about shipping costs!
Dwane Hollands

Hollands Print Solutions
www.hollands.com.au
najsion

Post by najsion »

Just a note Dwane, Soundscreen is Rockwool insulation. Great for density but it's more itchy than glasswool so use gloves etc.
I'm using the R2.5 version over all my walls which I think is around 43kg/m3 and around 88mm thick. Same price per bag but only 5 batts per bag.
They should be able to knock a bit more off the price if it matters.

Paul
DwaneHollands

Post by DwaneHollands »

najsion wrote:Just a note Dwane, Soundscreen is Rockwool insulation. Great for density but it's more itchy than glasswool so use gloves etc.
I'm using the R2.5 version over all my walls which I think is around 43kg/m3 and around 88mm thick. Same price per bag but only 5 batts per bag.
They should be able to knock a bit more off the price if it matters.

Paul
Paul, thanks for posting!

When you say it's itchy, it's not like the burn feeling you get from the Glass Wool. I was told that the burn is from all the fibres getting into the skin and you're meant to wash it out with hot water. A friend who is a Sparky, had it from climbing in roofs with insulation. Said even the hot water didn't make much difference. (I thought he said it was like a burn, but maybe it was more like an itch. Personally haven't experienced it myself)
Dwane Hollands

Hollands Print Solutions
www.hollands.com.au
najsion

Post by najsion »

Dwane, I think the burn feeling is a personal reaction. We had 6 installers working with a premium glasswool product and one installer was getting a greater skin irritation than everyone else. Also, being a premium product, it's fibres did not break up and become airborne as easily as some cheaper products.
Same thing with rockwool, just depends on your skin I guess. Aside from all this, the Soundscreen is a good product.
Noticed your signature, I may have to get a quote off of you!

Paul
DwaneHollands

Post by DwaneHollands »

najsion wrote:Dwane, I think the burn feeling is a personal reaction. We had 6 installers working with a premium glasswool product and one installer was getting a greater skin irritation than everyone else. Also, being a premium product, it's fibres did not break up and become airborne as easily as some cheaper products.
Same thing with rockwool, just depends on your skin I guess. Aside from all this, the Soundscreen is a good product.
OK, that's good to know. I think I will simply be extra careful handling it with long sleeve shirts and pants.
najsion wrote:Noticed your signature, I may have to get a quote off of you!
Ha ha. You know I just changed that! No problems, send me an email or PM me when you're ready. I'll do my best prices for forum members as a way to give back to the forum!
Dwane Hollands

Hollands Print Solutions
www.hollands.com.au
DwaneHollands

Post by DwaneHollands »

OK, picked up the 75mm thick Soundscreen material.

I noticed it's quite compressible. If I compress the 75mm to fit in 50mm will that improve the absorption properties or cause it to be a poorer absorber.
Dwane Hollands

Hollands Print Solutions
www.hollands.com.au
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

If you compress it too much between your inner-leaf and outer-leaf, you run the risk of creating a flanking path, and therefore bypassing your isolation completely... I'd just leave it lying loosely in the gap. Fill as much as you can, but don't compress it.

- Stuart -