My DIY audio monitor stands

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

Teflon

My DIY audio monitor stands

Post by Teflon »

I've finished building new stands for my audio monitors. Each base is filled with 25 pounds of sand. Maybe overkill but I have a 3 year old and I really don't want him knocking them over. Rather than re posting everything here you can read about the DIY Monitor Stand build on my blog.

The bass response seems a bit tighter but other than that they don't sound a whole lot different than they did when they were on the desk bridge. I guess that's a good thing right?
DSC_5030.JPG
DSC_5031.JPG
And ignore the Auralex on the walls. Bass Traps and wall absorbers are in the workshop as I type.
Teflon

Re: My DIY audio monitor stands

Post by Teflon »

Well, the more I listen to them the more I hear. The bass response is definitely clearer but so are other freqs. I was listening to the Bangle's "Walk like an Egyptian" and the tambourine and vocal reverb sounded so good! Never heard it that good before. Rob Thomas' voice on the 2nd Matchbox Album sounds so much cleaner and it feels like he's right in front of me. And I was listening to a sampler of some popular classical. Much cleaner and easier to hear all the different instruments. I can't say that's just because of the stands since I'm making so many changes to my space at once but I think they helped.

One negative I've found. There's a certain frequency (noticed it on a high bass guitar note) that is causing something to resonate. I don't think it's in the stand - at least I haven't found it yet. It seems like it's in front of the right monitor so I think it might be something in the desk bridge. Got to track that down today and fix it.

One more thing: I don't know jack about building proper loudspeaker stands. I read a bit on here and then built these from materials I had on hand so my cost was $0. If you want to offer comments good or bad feel free. You won't hurt my feelings and maybe it would be helpful to someone else. Plus I love learning new stuff.