Vocal Booth Design

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

afavreau

Re: Vocal Booth Design

Post by afavreau »

Hi,

Is this design also good to record acoustic guitar, soloists and various amps?
Andre Favreau
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Is this design also good to record acoustic guitar, soloists and various amps?
It should work fine for any of those, yes.

- Stuart -
briandvoice

Post by briandvoice »

Hello, I know this is an older thread. I am interested in this for a voiceover booth, but I use a Linux computer and can not run SketchUp. Can anyone convert these plans to pdf or something else?

Thank you
Brian Doucette
Professional Voiceover Talent & P.A. Announcer
http://www.vocalhq.com
"Let me speak for you..."
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Hi Brian. There are ways of running SketchUp under Linux. This might be interesting for you:

https://sites.google.com/site/sketchups ... lems/linux

http://www.sysads.co.uk/2014/06/install ... ntu-14-04/

If you google for your specific version of Linux, hopefully you'll be able to get it working.

- Stuart -
briandvoice

Post by briandvoice »

Thank you!
Brian Doucette
Professional Voiceover Talent & P.A. Announcer
http://www.vocalhq.com
"Let me speak for you..."
Mike981

Post by Mike981 »

Hello great forum! Wondering if anyone can help, for some reason I am unable to load the file to Skitch. It loads halfway and stalls. I deleted the file and downloaded it again with the same results.

Thank you.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

It loads halfway and stalls. I deleted the file and downloaded it again with the same results.
Must be a problem with your Internet connection, or with your computer: I just tried it, and it downloads fine for me.

But I also uploaded it to one of my servers, so you can try to download from there. Here's the link:

http://www.digistar.cl/sayers-forum/Joh ... _Booth.skp

- Stuart -
Mike981

Post by Mike981 »

Stuart, thank you. Hmmm, that didn't work either. I am going to uninstall Skitch and then reinstall it to see if that helps.
Mike981

Post by Mike981 »

Thank you again Stuart, once I re-installed it worked.
Mike981

Post by Mike981 »

Is there any discussion of people who have built this design?
felixthecat

Post by felixthecat »

I'm new to sketchup and can't find the tape measure?!!!

Can someone help as to where it's located?

I really want to check out the measurements for the booth as it looks ideal.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

It's roughly in the middle of the standard "Getting Started" toolbar, at the top of the main window. It looks like a tape-measure.

- Stuart -
richroyc

Post by richroyc »

Md.poneer wrote:actually, im not willing to float but, since, the design show that there is a 2x4 stud lies horizontally to join the vertical studs ,so there must be something to fill up the floor space ....and what is that
..........at the other topics u have said to put laminating floor so should i do that?do i need carpet on that?
this space doesn't need to be filled. John's file shows a 1/2" thick material (carpet or maybe flooring) that would just sit right on the concrete.

i think you are imagining the floor would sit ON TOP of the horizontal 2x4's? but only the walls do.

The studs are just wall frames and the wall finish would fasten to that on the bottom. If you toggle the "Front Finish" layer on and off you can see that it goes all the way down to the bottom of that horizontal 2x4.
booksmart

Post by booksmart »

Any reason not to swap the door and window in the current design?
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

Hi Everyone,
I am a total newbie about sound recording (have read a few books about acoustics and roamed the internet for info´s) and just found this wonderful place filled with information's, thanks to all contributors.
I am planing to record Voice Overs for Self-Hypnosis products and need to set up a Vocal Booth for that purpose.

As my house is to small to integrate a voice booth, I like to build one outside in my garden.
I am living in the boonies and the noise problem is not too bad outside here, average about 8-10 db (birds), when a motorbikes pass by it goes up to 40 db.

I am living in Uruguay and to come by all this high tech Materials is not possible for me, at least not for an reasonable price, they charge her 100% import taxes on most goods, also shipping costs are out of this world.

I really like the Voice Booth design, in the first post of this thread, and like to build a similar one as my recording and working room, maybe slightly bigger, so I can use it as my working room too.

So I have to build this Sound Booth with local materials as good as I can.

What is available here: Wood (not straight and low quality), MDF, Plywood (no exterior Ply available), Gypsum Board (China made), Bricks, Cement, Cement Blocks, just basic building materials are available.

Insulation: Glass wool (very low quality), Rock-wool sheets, Styrofoam

So I wonder if I could build the walls and ceilings with bricks and cement, those are the cheaper materials available here.

I could not find any plans or information´s about building with concrete and bricks or concrete blocks.
I hope through this forum I can get some info´s about building with standard building materials.

Building double walls would be no problem I guess, but how and what to use for insulation on the outside and inside ?
Is Styrofoam (which is available here) of any use ?
How to build a simple roof, maybe just a standard flat tin roof or a concrete slab (with grass on top) ?

For room treatment I will have to import Auralex Foam products I guess.

Thanks for your time and all the best for the New Year 2016.
Pedro