Vocal Booth Design

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

Kir For Pleasure

Re: Vocal Booth Design

Post by Kir For Pleasure »

enojyng with the ceiling !!! but for the walls i have 13x9,8
Metal is the Law !
Funky Animal

Post by Funky Animal »

John Sayers wrote:It's too small for a drum booth - you couldn't fit a kit inside.
you could stack it... :yahoo:
Jharris69

Post by Jharris69 »

Hey is there any way i could get a materials list for this?

Also, has anyone built this and have any reviews of it? how difficult is it to build?
G-Force

Post by G-Force »

Jharris69 wrote:Hey is there any way i could get a materials list for this?

Also, has anyone built this and have any reviews of it? how difficult is it to build?
Hello -
I'm a new poster. I'm researching semi-portable (with disassembly) iso-booths big enough for drums, and ran across this design, which could be enlarged. I echo Jharris's questions, and add another: If I were to build a room like this and set it on top of a carpeted concrete floor, I presume the floor of the iso-room would need to be built differently than these drawings show? Perhaps floated, then sealed similarly to the wall design?

What is recommended for a fan on the ventilation system?

Would there be any advantage in using mdf+sheetrock, rather than 2 layers of sheetrock on the outside?

Thanks in advance for people's thoughts. If there are any other links to designs I may consider, they are much welcomed.

Thanks,
Grant
trieme

Post by trieme »

Hi there!
Another new guy here :) This forum really made me want to stay.
Sorry if I appear to be redundant sometimes. I'm a non-native english speaker.

This vocal booth design is very close to what I'm looking for, except that I also want to use it as a mix room. And fit my mattress in (yes, I am a snore singer).

I've been reading a lot and searching, downloaded lots of drawings and all, but surely simply asking the good guys could help me get out of this intelectual limbo where my ideas roam.

Well, I need this kind of compact booth design, that I could take with me when I move away (I will someday), and my aim is to practice voice in the middle of night (with some basic recording) and to mix without forcing my neighbors to share my musical taste while they're trying to sleep.

I am assuming I could adjust the measures to fit my mattress, my audio gear and me. Then, how could I adjust this to fit my pair of Rokit 6 INSIDE this vocal booth, a 5-octave keyboard, a 1m x 2m mattress, microphones, a small mixer? Being more specific, what calculations should I use to adjust ceiling height and walls so I can fit my things in and begin designing my Dream Booth based on this Vocal Booth design?

ps. Oh, could someone post a materials list and estimate weight? Thanks a lot :)
michaellpenman

Post by michaellpenman »

Can you give me the schematics of the vocal booth.
It looks ace.
Like materials and building directions would be amazing.
joel

Post by joel »

Hi,

Thanks very much for posting your design John!!

I've just bought my a unit (in Sydney) and I'm very keen to build a vocal booth. Any idea roughly how much the materials might cost to make this? $1000, $2000, $3000? I really have no idea!

@Trieme: you wouldn't want to put speakers in your booth - a recording booth has very different acoustic requirements to that of a mixing room..
Esco

Post by Esco »

How do i get the list of things to buy for this design. I see the design and love it but I'm clueless on what to buy.
Laziness is reflected in our life's work. Take the time to learn and stand out over the rest. Anyone can "Just get it done" but it takes true craftsmanship to create a masterpiece.

Esco

http://www.myspace.com/freakshiftdialect
whosback

Post by whosback »

great, thank you very much!
How thick schould the rockwool be?
For what are the wood panels?
peter-s

Post by peter-s »

Hi,

I've mostly been a reader at this forum but I'm about to build this vocal booth and I've got a few questions so I thought I'd post them.

1. Would I gain any sound isolation by making the walls thicker? By walls I'm thinking about the wooden frame and insulation. My thought would be to double the 3 1/2" they are now and go for 7".

2. The floor is just a thin piece of wood. Wouldn't it be better to go for at least a couple of inches of frame and insulation?

3. In the SketchUp file there are wholes at the bottom of the slat walls. Do these fill any purpose?

Thank you!
AVare
Confused, but not senile yet

Post by AVare »

peter-s wrote:1. Would I gain any sound isolation by making the walls thicker? By walls I'm thinking about the wooden frame and insulation. My thought would be to double the 3 1/2" they are now and go for 7".
Yes. Remember that the overall isolation will be as good as the weakest link. Upgrade the walls, upgrade the window and door.
2. The floor is just a thin piece of wood. Wouldn't it be better to go for at least a couple of inches of frame and insulation?
Thicker is better. The floor because of its proximity to the room floor is not as significant. Plus see answer to # one and the weakest link.
3. In the SketchUp file there are wholes at the bottom of the slat walls. Do these fill any purpose?
I am not clear on this as to what the question is.
Thank you!
You are welcome.

Andre
Good studio building is 90% design and 10% construction
twllin

Post by twllin »

Can you tell me what kind of materials were used for this design? I have one that i built and i got some plans online from another company i bougth for like $10 just to see how they were so i built it so i have a piece of plywood then a layer ot auralex sheetblok and then another plywood. on teh interior i used the auralex suede fiber glass pieces.
ArthurJr

Post by ArthurJr »

Hi All,

I am planning to build a small vocal booth and got inspired by the design found here. External dimensions do have to be smaller though. Here are the specs that I imagined, any comment is and will be totally welcome!

Dimensions
- external dimensions: 6' x 5'
- internal dimensions: about 16 sqft
- ceiling height: 7'6'' on the inside

Construction
- Walls, floor and ceiling will be made in order to have an STC of 60
- External type door with integrated thermos window

Acoustical treatments of the interior
- 2 walls treated with Auralex wedge pannels
- 2 walls planned as 'sound traps', i.e. 6'' strips each spaced of 1'', behind this will be insulation
- door and ceiling covered with Auralex wedge pannels
- carpet with subcarpet layer on the floor

Drawing of the project:

I am asking myself if I might color my sound that way. I want this little booth to be as flat as possible.

Thanks all for the help and comments (hope I can help a bunch too...)

Arthur
Mystic

Post by Mystic »

Greetings, a lurker here.

I've decided to greenlight building John's design as it seems like it's the best workable booth I've seen that I could get away with building myself, but I'm a bit confused on the materials used for it as in types of wood, insulation, flooring, etc. I've seen it questioned on here before but there was no real reply made on it.

Also, with the ventilation system, the sketchup doesn't really give a description on how that particular part is built. I'm assuming it wouldn't simply be hallow?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. :)
LRRecords

Post by LRRecords »

Awesome - thanks for putting in the effort for us folk :)
Little Rascal Records
'skank'n sounds for bassheads and dubbers...'
www.lrrecords.com.au