Help with Tannoy monitors

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

Sparky

Help with Tannoy monitors

Post by Sparky »

Hi, I have the opportunity to get a hold of these tannoy drivers for next to nothing. I'm not really a gearhead so don't know a huge deal about these things but i end up learning when i need to make stuff work. From some research I’ve done I’m guessing they're 15" k3808 Dual Concentric. I've found Schematics for the crossover and even the technical manual detailing cabinet construction details. I'd love to be able to use them but I maybe they're too big for my dinky little garage space, that coupled with the hassle involved, I’m thinking that I’d be better off buying some modern nearfields. If I ever managed to build the crossover I was thinking of making cabinets and mounting them as per John’s soffit design. I'm about to sit down and work my way through the technical manual and see if I can't understand a bit better what I would need to do.

Anyway heres the pictures.
Front.jpg
Back.jpg
Side.jpg
Have i identified them correctly?
If anyone out there has experience of these or monitors in general I’d appreciate your thoughts.

Many thanks

Steve
John Sayers
Site Admin

Re: Help with Tannoy monitors

Post by John Sayers »

Steve - they look to me like the Tannoy Gold series from the late 60s. ()1967)

http://www.hilberink.nl/speaker.htm

I worked with them for years - The dual concentric configuration gives great imaging and if you can build a cabinet for them, soffit mount them and drive them with a good amp (Bryston ;) ) they'll be great!
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Thankyou john, I will have to build them now just to hear them. The cabinets seem fairly simple to make and I'm going to check some HI Fi forums see if i can learn to build some crossovers. After checking the bryston website, I don't think i can afford to get one of their amps just yet! I could maybe get the remote control now at about £500 GBP :shock:

Thanks Again

Steve
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Steve - is it a dual concentric speaker? i.e. there is a horn running through the magnet with separate coil
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Yes i'm certain
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

I'm pretty sure that they are the same as the ones here http://44bx.com/tannoy/kseries.html and not the old original monitor golds, They have no model marked on them
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

good luck with them then :)