Midfields wider than 30 degrees

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

ThomasT

Midfields wider than 30 degrees

Post by ThomasT »

Hi,

I read that John sucessfully used a 90° alignment for main monitors instead of the normal 60°.

Since I wanted to optimize the space and I liked the wider stereofield in the past (even when it seems to be not a linear increase, bot more or less the 1D analogon to a barrel image distortion) I wonder if it's ok to use any other angle between 60° and Johns 90° degrees?

And if yes: how to angle the monitors? To the listener? To the ideal 60° - stereo triangle (It like you use 60° but sit closer to the monitors)? Or some kind of compromise?

Whats you opinion?
I would use some kind of 70-75° and angle the monitors (LSR32) to the listener. (means to me...;-) )

Greetings Thomas
NativeLuv17

Re: Midfields wider than 30 degrees

Post by NativeLuv17 »

Hello Thomas,

There used to be a great 8 page reference thread on this subject, but I cannot find it right now for the life of me. If memory serves me correct, I remember Stuart asking John this very same question about using any angles between 60 and 90 (30 & 45) Now don't quote me on this but I believe he approved of that, only noting that the stereo image would widen. As for angling the speakers, if I understand you correctly, you're talking about soffit mounted speaker? I have read up to 8 degrees max, but some others on here have said 11. Just remember your angles also have to be based on your listening position - 38% from the front of the room. I'm no professional, and I know Stuart knows quite a bit when it comes to this, so maybe you might wanna see if him or John pops up before you make a final decision.
Gvgeyuhi Edudi, Nulinega!! Hoka Hey!!!
ThomasT

Post by ThomasT »

Hi,

I'll try to find the old thread (the key words for searching do not scale well, often I get "to many results").

With angling the monitors I mean the horizontal direction. (pan, not tilt it terms of camera).
The ideas are, 1. direct on listener - for obvious reasons 2. behind the listener (in ideal triangle) - you *can* move to that postion if you want a right 60°-position 3. comprimise to have a wider sweet spot from >60° mixing position to 60° position.
NativeLuv17

Post by NativeLuv17 »

Gvgeyuhi Edudi, Nulinega!! Hoka Hey!!!