Should I Soffit mount in this space?

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

sonicsix

Should I Soffit mount in this space?

Post by sonicsix »

I have my build coming along and am focusing on my design for tuning my mix room.
I have KRK V88's and a s12 sub as my mains. I'm thinking about soffit mounting the V88's and realize after reading much on the forum, that I have some issues to work around. I only have 2' from my window to the side walls to work with. I've read on here that speaker placement should NOT be more than 12 degrees and not at 50% the height of the wall.
SO...my question is can I benefit from going over my window and soffit mounting?
I have included a screen shot of a rough idea. I realize that the speakers should be flush with the bezel of the soffit, which isn't depicted with my sketchup.
Any Ideas?

Here's a link to the original design thread with a semi recent Sketchup file at the bottom:http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... =1&t=13073

I have updated the screen shot to show the 10 degree angle.
Rhino

Re: Should I Soffit mount in this space?

Post by Rhino »

I recently asked a similar question with regard to speaker soffits above the window, and was eventually talked out of it. You can read the discussion in the link in my signature. It starts on page 3 - just skip through the mud-slinging that was taking place. :roll:

I'll be interested to see what you decide on. =)
sonicsix

Post by sonicsix »

Thanks for the reply Rhino. Your space looks awesome. How's your build coming along?
I've scoured this site, and soaked up a lot of info. I've came to the conclusion that I can angle my soffits at 10 degrees down and 30 degrees (60 combined) in by going just above the window. My walls are 6 degrees out and ceiling will be 703 frames at 6 degrees up also. The focal point will be at 38 % back and speakers will be not at 50% floor - ceiling height.
I plan on 16-20" wood surrounds ( on all sides) flush with speakers. I read that they should be double the woofer size. My v88's have 2 8" woofers. I'm guessing this will be enough space.

Whew. I'm going to start building.
sonicsix

Post by sonicsix »

Here's an updated picture. I posted more on my design/ build thread. Scroll to the bottom. http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... =1&t=13073
teekman777

Post by teekman777 »

Interested in knowing how your soffit mount turned out with the V88's. I have the same monitors and plan on soffit mounting them too.
sonicsix

Post by sonicsix »

teekman777 wrote:Interested in knowing how your soffit mount turned out with the V88's. I have the same monitors and plan on soffit mounting them too.
Thanks for reminding me to post a follow up. I've been so busy trying to finish things up that I've forgot to post pictures. They turned out great! Stereo image is much clearer, and bass seems tighter. I'm glad I went this route.
The KRK V88's are mounted in a sealed, 3/4" plywood box, that is ratchet strapped on a "shelf" that is free from touching the front surrounding soffit. The box is rear ported for amp vent and switch access. The rough front panel is 5/8" particle board, then finished with 1/2" Birch finish grade plywood. Roxul 2" compressed insulation and pink fluffy insulation behind soffits.
I still need to finish the bass traps below the soffits when I get the window trim done. Sorry for the crappy camera phone pictures. As you can tell the iPhone 4 camera is much better on the last pictures!
Soffit-step-2.jpg
Soffit-step3.jpg
sonicsix

Post by sonicsix »

I'm getting ready to finish the bottom of my soffits with the appropriate bass trapping, and was wondering if I need to be flush with the front panel surface? The blue/ grey speaker mount, underneath the panels, was where I was thinking of attaching the bass trap frames which are 3 1/2" behind front panels. Mainly due to the soffit panels hanging over the window slightly. Can anyone recommend a design? I was thinking of doing traps consisting of hanging peg board wrapped in insulation, boxed in behind a plywood panel with an air gap at the bottom. I'll post a sketchup soon to clarify also. Thanks.
teekman777

Post by teekman777 »

Hey man thanks for the pics. Glad to know it worked out. I am almost at the point of soffit build in our const. I too have the V88's and will soffit them, I am excited to hear them. How is the volume? Did you get a sense of incresed db?

With the bass trap below I do believe it needs to continue flush with the front wall. Might not make to much of a difference if it isn't, the real point is to trap the corners below to prevent bass build up there. Design wise, it may look cleaner but can't imagine 3.5" making that big of a deal especially if you enclose that 3.5" gap with a 2x4 turned flat and caulked or something. Maybe one of the pros here will respond.

You may want to double check some of the other threads on the hanging traps. If memory serves me correct the mass of the boards is of great importance. MDF is the recomendation for the mass, at least that's what I remember. I will be using MDFbelow my soffits wrapped with the insul. Keep up the good work there. I will post some pics soon of my soffit.
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

I agree, I would extend at least the center portion the width of the speaker down a couple of feet before it turns into a cloth faced trap. The cloth space can be small enoughmon the side so it doesn't interfere with the window and you might consider using hangers in there or super chunks.
Glenn