This "All by itself soffit speaker" would work ? barefoot

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

Angelsound

This "All by itself soffit speaker" would work ? barefoot

Post by Angelsound »

A little thought/question from a amateur,

thinking about all this soffit mounting stuff. I wondered about that.

as i understand people soffit mount speakers, so theres no reflecting sound from the front wall adding up to the direct sound.

why do speaker cabinets always have to be rectangular ?

If you would do a closed speaker cabinet with the form of my jpeg drawing, cabinet height maybe from floor to above listening position with built in speakers in listening height, and then placing it directly to the wall without an airgap, and the front part where the speakers are built in doing it in 30 degree.

wouldn´t that be the same as a soffit mounted rectangular speaker cabinet ? does that speaker cabinet have to be much larger in width than the speaker diameter ?

Greetz,
Heiko
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: This "All by itself soffit speaker" would work ? barefoot

Post by Soundman2020 »

Some of Mackie's speakers are trapezoidal, but for different reasons, and the angle is on the back, not the front. They are also not meant to be studio speakers, and are designed more for live events. But they do sound pretty good.

In any event, the point of soffit mounting (flush mounting) is not to angle the speakers, but to get them flush with the wall, so that the wall acts as an infinite baffle. With your suggestion you'd still have to built a "soffit" panel around the speaker front panel, which kind of defeats the purpose of your design.

- Stuart -
Angelsound

Re: This "All by itself soffit speaker" would work ? barefoot

Post by Angelsound »

Hello Stuart,

thanks for your answer !

Greetz,
Heiko