i'm confused!

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

puretones

i'm confused!

Post by puretones »

I've spent ages reading as much about soundproofing as I can but I still have one question. I have a double garage that I intend to use as a practice room. I intend to build a room within a room. How do I upgrade the main exterior wall without creating a second air gap? If i batten out and platerboard the outside wall and then build my inner floating room I will have 3 leaves and 2 air gaps.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Can you post a sketch of what you have and what you intend ?

I've probably over-emphasized the single air gap rule, mainly because people keep wanting to spend $$$ where they don't need it (I hate wasting money on construction that could be spent for "toys"...)

I'm working on a graphic and text post that will clear this up somewhat, but want to run it by a couple of better minds than mine first -

Maybe by the time you get a sketch going I'll have time to finish, but probably not quite. Realistically it'll take a few days before I'm ready to post... Steve