Alternatives to NS10

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

braiden

Re: Alternatives to NS10

Post by braiden »

Ahh, the old NS10 debate.

As far as I am concerned, this is the case.

Almost every studio in the world has them. The big names use them on big records. They must be good. Because if they weren't, no-one would use them.

End of story.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

they really are great. not because they sound the best, but because they're very revealing. a bad mix sounds extremely bad on them, and it's easy to hear things that you wouldn't want in a mix. as someone stated earlier in the thread, you're better off having something to A/B with. i know quite a few engineers that use ns-10s and krk v8's. i personally don't care for the krk's at all, but they're a great contrast to an ns-10. i have a smaller set of adams that serve me well and have been compared to ns-10s (not in my opinion), but if someone is looking for a close alternative, apparently the yamaha HS-50m is close. i had hs-80's which I hated, but i hadn't tried the 50's. this response chart looks fairly promising!

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachme ... s-ns10.jpg
studious

r

Post by studious »

r
Last edited by studious on Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arocasoundfactory

Post by arocasoundfactory »

I remember my teachers at the institute saying "if you achieve a good mix on those Yamaha speakers, you´ll sound great on any other system". I once listened a mix on them...and sounded awful, but at the same time, was very revealing...that mid frecuency peak it´s pretty scary anyway LOL :cen:
It's a long way to be like Eddie Kramer.
And it´s also hard to not blow your ears these days!.
leenco12

Post by leenco12 »

Podgorny wrote:
valentin wrote:buy the best monitors you can have
and too check the mix just ad a hi-pass

There is no substitute for having a secondary set of speakers with a different crossover point (or no crossover at all).
If budget is a concern, there are terrible speakers everywhere. Just look up computer speakers and pick a set.

The key with main monitors is find a set that makes great recordings sound the way you think they should sound. But for a second reference pair, just about any miserable speaker will do.
I don't think he was talking about what to use for his mains, but rather what to use for a set of general purpose monitors that sound like NS10's, ie, mediocre and harsh in the high end. I'm not so sure that just adding a high pass filter to near-field studio monitors will turn them into NS-10's, either! There is an awful lot to it than just frequency response.
valentin

Post by valentin »

I'm not so sure that just adding a high pass filter to near-field studio monitors will turn them into NS-10's, either! There is an awful lot to it than just frequency response.
i agree that adding a high pass will turn them into a ns10
thank good

if there is something that al bad speakers have in common is their bad low frequency extension that's why you apply the XO

You can have so many different types of mediocre and harsh sounds that's why the ns cannot represent all the different bad speakers in the market and as some studies have shown the average of these bad speakers tend to be a flat response no a peak mountain @ 2000 hz

you should use a neutral speaker with no bass and that way you have a better chance to sound good in more systems

that's only my opinion :)
a set of measurements wont tell you if you have a good speaker but it will tel you the difference between a good and a great speaker