Source for GM Type K trunk rubber weatherstripping

Find out where to get building materials in your local area. If you find a good outlet post it and others will be able to access it through the search engine.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

sandman

Source for GM Type K trunk rubber weatherstripping

Post by sandman »

Perfect Fit has Rod's Type K trunk rubber in 50 ft lengths for $36.80:

http://www.perfectfit.com/13023/154178/ ... ysler.html

You want item # AV04731 (Door weatherstrip-GM 1953-54, 50 ft. - Box)

Got to their website via another post here. The clincher for me was when I looked on their contact page and saw that they have a warehouse literally 3 blocks from where I work (Portland, OR - also a warehouse in Tukwila, WA), so I placed the order with that warehouse on the phone. This is a special order item, which means no returns, but I picked it up today and it's the real deal. I'll attach some (bad cell phone) pics so you know I ain't lyin' - in the one with the open box I used MS Paint to color in the cross section, which didn't turn out to be very visible.
Image002.jpg
Image003.jpg
Image004.jpg
You may be able to find a local distributor for this stuff by contacting the manufacturer (Au-ve-co). Perfect Fit seems to be the most obvious online distributor for Au-ve-co products.

Good luck!
Jester

Re: Source for GM Type K trunk rubber weatherstripping

Post by Jester »

That looks like the stuff. If it's not too much trouble could you measure across it and tell me how wide it is?
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."

Lief Stevens
Gleeman Productions
www.OrangeKrushBand.com
sandman

Post by sandman »

It's just about 1" if measured along the "flat" edge, and 3/4" measuring perpendicularly from the flat edge to the top of the "peak".
crossSection.GIF
realdoyle

Post by realdoyle »

I just contacted Mark at PerfectFit.com Below is his reply. Because PerfectFit won't have more in until after the first of 2010, he graciously provided links to some competitors who might have the Type K weatherstripping we are all looking for. To anyone reading this post after Jan 15th 2010, I would strongly suggest ordering from PerfectFit.com.
--------
Hi Josh,

The manufacturer has giving us a date - Estimated .Avail 1/15/2010
I don't want to lose a sale but also understand that is awhile to wait.
Here are some other sources you might try -

http://www.spaceagepaint.com/product_de ... oduct=4913
http://dixie.hypermart.net/store/page17.html
http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Weathe ... /a4731.htm

Good Luck!
Mark
Mark Roddy
Perfect Fit-McDonald Inc.
18249 Olympic Ave S
Seattle WA 98188
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."
-Eleanor Roosevelt
realdoyle

Post by realdoyle »

FYI, I've contacted PerfectFit.com, SpaceAgePaint.com, and ClipsAndFasteners.com. They all are out of this part. I just spoke to a guy at the dixie.hypermart.net URL and he couldn't confirm if there would be a delay since "he has the material dropped shipped from the supplier." This is not a good sign since the supplier's serious factory fire is causing this shortage.

IF ANYONE HAS JUST ONE ROLL LEFT PLEASE PM ME!

I actually only need 40ft, enough to do two doors. I'm sitting here with a building and a set of doors. But with no doors on my building. I can't do anything until I get the weatherstripping. It's very sad.

Any alternative product ideas welcome. Rod???

Thanks,
-Doyle
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."
-Eleanor Roosevelt
whitelion88

Post by whitelion88 »

You can get some at jcwhitney.com - do a search there for 1JA 738864
this is exactly the same as in Rod's book. They come in 10 foot rolls and they have them IN STOCK.
realdoyle

Post by realdoyle »

Hi WhiteLion88

I just did the search but that part number is for "Style L" and Rod's book suggests "Style K." I read on another post that JC has their part numbers mixed up and that you have to order Style L but they'll actually send you Style K. (http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... jc+whitney)
Makes me nervous to purposely order the wrong part number and hope they are consistent in their errors.

Doesn't seem like I have any other options though. Thanks for the part number.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
whitelion88

Post by whitelion88 »

I read on another post that JC has their part numbers mixed up

These are the exact same ones in Rod's book. The style indicated on JC Whitney website is off, but the picture is correct (shown below). Trust me, I ordered these last month and they are the exact same ones as in the book. Just be sure to order that exact SKU.
realdoyle

Post by realdoyle »

Wonderful! Good to hear that you've had recent success with this. I'm placing my order right now (p/n 1JA 738864) and I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks again,
Doyle
-Eleanor Roosevelt
realdoyle

Post by realdoyle »

Just got my order from JC Whitney and WhiteLion88 was right. Thanks for the tip.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
raffaelebonetti

Post by raffaelebonetti »

Hello,

Can someone tell me how to install it? In what part of the door frame or door stop? A drawing would help. And what did you use to fix it?

Best Regards,

Raffaele
Actualsizeaudio

Post by Actualsizeaudio »

Guys, I just got some of this from perfect fit. I got 50 feet for the 36.50, plus 10 bucks for priority mail from WA to CT. It was ordered on the web on the 18th, and showered up today on the 20th.

The first batch of this stuff I got from JC whitney a year ago, and it cost me 76.44 for 60 feet, plus 15.49 for shipping. It took 10 days for me to get it.

PIN THIS THREAD, AND MAKE SURE EVERYONE GETS IT AT PERFECTFIT.com !!
Ear plugs are your friend