New Studio: Cabling Recommendations

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

davemurphy

New Studio: Cabling Recommendations

Post by davemurphy »

hi folks,

we are just about to design the cable A/V cable run for our new studio. We have a single Studio Room, a Control Room, and an Equipment/Central Apparatus Room (CAR).

Power is already installed: 3 phase, with Lighting on one phase, mains/equipment on the 2nd, and air con on the 3rd phase.

Now I have to consider how to connect up the rooms. Our old studio used 'traditional' wall-plate to console and/or patch bay layout. However I have noticed that a number of studios have gone to a central switch/router type of arrangement.

What is the consensus out there, for a new studio should I use the traditional multi-point configuration, or the switch/router design?

cheers

Dave
lilith_envy

Re: New Studio: Cabling Recommendations

Post by lilith_envy »

I suppose thats a question of cost.
I wouldn't be supprised if the route-able design was nearly double that of a fix cable run.

You haven't given us much info. Read the stickies please and fill in the blanks.
I'm assuming, because you used the words "AV" that this isn't a straight recording studio?
Where are you?
What are you trying to achieve?
Budget?
Layout?
:horse:
inkspotproductions
www.bantamstudio.info
davemurphy

Post by davemurphy »

hi lilith_envy,

apologies for the lack of information, I didn't want to bog down the post with detail.
The Studio is a teaching studio and is predominantly an audio recording/dubbing studio with limited video recording (two studio cameras coming back to a vision mixer and cntl unit in the Control Room).

Currently I have an old analogue Angela Amek (32 Trk) with Pro Tools (24|888). The plan is to upgrade this to a control surface and a new Pro Tools rig (HD3). I also have an impressive collection of out-board effects units and processors. As it is a teaching facility, we expect to have a mix of balanced/un-balanced, line, speaker, guitar, and AES connections. We will also have talk-back and headphone connections between the rooms.
I am also including CAT6a/7 for USB/FW and MIDI (and data networking).

At this point cost is not a consideration, I suppose what I am really trying to do is to future proof the facility, while at the same time it should reflect current practice in professional studios.

any feedback is gratefully appreciated.
BTW, I'm based in Ireland.

rgds Dave
jbassino

Post by jbassino »

I think you should search in gearslutz.com, there is plenty of info about cables there