Vibrating the neighbors....

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

urock

Post by urock »

I have a rehearsal/recording room with a drop ceiling and about 3' of space before my upstairs neighbors wood floor.

What can I do to eliminate bass escaping (mostly upwards) and some midrange, while tightening up the sound of the room. I have already placed a few rolls of insulation on the ceiling tile to no avail.

Please Help

New studio Owner...
We Rock
dymaxian

Post by dymaxian »

How heavy is your drop ceiling? How's it built- suspended from above by wires, or stood up on inside walls?

The floor deck above will make a good sound stop if it's not the only one. If you have a solid, thick, air-tight ceiling above you then you're probably doing all you can there. And the 3 foot gap, with insulation, is plenty.

Are the walls structurally separated from the ceiling/floor system? Could be you're getting vibes running thru the structure.

Sorry to answer your questions with more questions... but the more info we have the more we can help ;)

Kase
www.minemusic.net
Kase
www.minemusic.net

"to hell with the CD sales! Download the MP3s and come to the shows!"
urock

VIBRATING PART 2

Post by urock »

THE DROP CEILING IS HELD IN PLACE BY WIRES AND IT HAS 3/4" (IT LOOKS LIKE) ACOUSTIC CEILING TILES. THERE IS ONLY ABOUT 8" OF INSLUATION ON TOP OF THE TILES NOW.

I WAS THINKING ABOUT BUILDING A LITTLE WOOD PLATFORM TO PLACE THE DRUMS ON SO THE KICK DRUM DOESN'T TRAVEL THROUGH THE STRUCTURE.

THERE IS A MAIN STRUCTURAL BEAM THAT RUNS THROUGH THE CORNER OF THE ROOM THAT GOES THROUGH THE BUILDING BUT THE THIRD FLOOR NEIGHBORS DON'T HAVE ANY SOUND COMING THROUGH.

ANY MORE QUESTIONS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ASK.

THANKS SCOTT
We Rock
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

Up above where their floor is, do you have joists? or is it covered w/ drywall? What's the structure above the tile?
urock

Post by urock »

There is only wood above the drop ceiling.
There are joists (3" x 8"?, looks old) spaced like studs and even more insulation up in place in certain areas. The building and wood is old but healthy. everthing is exposed , wires that run to fluorescent lights, wire ties holding up the drop ceiling, insulation stapled in place to their floor, and some extra insulation that i layered just laying on the ceiling tiles.
I even layed some thick blankets in some areas where I could but I guess its not enough to kill the bass although most of the midrange and all of the highs are stopped.

Thanks
Scott
We Rock
urock

VIBRATING PART 3

Post by urock »

The inside walls are seperate from the ceiling, but I am also on the corner of the building....

I am trying to think of everything but if you have more questions, please feel free.

Thanks again
We Rock
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

urock,

Steve & I had discussed this briefly on some isolation techniques for upstairs. There are several others posted on some of the other threads, I just can't remember where. This may be of some help though...

http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... c&start=43

There are a few diagrams showing some of the ideas.