Sphere shaped Live Room?

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

pootle roche

Sphere shaped Live Room?

Post by pootle roche »

Hello again.
I am new to this forum and very new to studio design.
I was just wondering what was the ideal shape for a live room (if it is built in a 6' x 6' space).
I understand about standing waves and parallel surfaces as well as the basics of material coefficiency and space utilization.
However, I was wondering what peoples views were in terms of what shape people would choose if they could choose any shape.
I speak in terms of creating a dead studio rather than an acoustic effect type of live room space as i understand that a live room of this size is too small to create a special type of reverb acoustic space.
I also wondered how effective a sphere would be in terms of creating a dead sound room.
Although, I understand that a sphere would leave a great deal of unused space, and would be expensive to make in sound absorbant materials.
Anyway, would be pleased to hear any advice.
Thanks
Kaj

Re: Sphere shaped Live Room?

Post by Kaj »

Hi,
A sphere, is the worst shape when its coming to room modes, as all walls obviously is parallel, this increase the standing waves as you understand.

A dead room? If you dont want any audible ambience, treat with Insulation on the wall, but this taking out the high frequencies unless you build as a trap, pls search the forum and you will get all the answers there.

Good luck
Kaj
lilith_envy

Post by lilith_envy »

A sphere is and will act like a satelite. If for arguement sake it was a "live" sphere, all points will reflect to the centre, creating a massive focus of sound.
If you then made the walls dead- you might as well build a rectangle as the walls no longer matter.
inkspotproductions
www.bantamstudio.info
xSpace

Post by xSpace »

"ideal shape for a live room (if it is built in a 6' x 6' space)."

Just adding to what has already been said:

It will be near impossible to build a usable room, live dead or other wise, in a 6X6 area no matter what the shape.
pootle roche

Post by pootle roche »

sure....lol.
Just a bit of a wind up really.
I will stop making my gigantic papier mache ballon now.....:-)
Ro

Post by Ro »

dutch ppl....tss :mrgreen: