guitar?

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

ubza_1234

guitar?

Post by ubza_1234 »

ok, i was thinking about this for years and wouldnt know were to ask or were to look for basics sorta infomation. i just want some info to just get me started.

attached is a really basic pic lol i'v always wanted to build an acoustic guitar that uses 2 concepts.
one is the bridge of the guitar (the anchor point on the body of the guitar for the string) is mounted to the front of the body. because the wood front acts as the speaker cone and rubber surround it means it is quite restricted in it's moments because the wood acts like a big rigid rubber surround and if you built a rubber surround out of wood instead of rubber, it would be very limited in its movements. yes? ok :)

if you had a guitar that had no front on it at all except for a strip of wood that comes up thru the middle and the bridge is mounted on that. this wooden strip is only mounted on one side. so although the wood is still acting as the speaker cone and surround in a way, it accomplishes 2 things.
1, it allows the "cone" to vibrate more freely as there is far less resistance upon it.
2, using a lever action/mechanical advantage, the small vibrations of the strings being transfered into the wood strip at the pivot point end of the strip, meaning a small movement at of the bridge, means a big movement of the other end.

the second concept is the horn speaker. i look at the old gramophones, and love the idea of the tiny movement of the needle filling a room with sound. so i'd love to design a guitar with a similar theory.

fig 1 is you standard guitar. as you can see it's basically a ported speaker box but wit a large, port with a tiny depth. the other is my horn design.
fig 2 you can see in mine i would glue rubber strip to act like the rubber surround to seal the box behind it. the sound pass's thru the port and out the back. i know, i'm way over simplifying it, but ya.
fig 3 is to show it is possible to put the opening of the port under the guitar if it is not long enough.
all i want to know is were to start! were can i get info to build a horn speaker like this? in a way, i'm building the speaker too so any info that anyone has to help me in the least would be amazing help! no matter how simple or how advanced it is although i am only experienced with ported designs, all info is good info!

thanks eveyone!
lilith_envy

Re: guitar?

Post by lilith_envy »

Even though it's not relivant to this site...i'm interested.
Get sketch up- draw it in 3D
Guitar.jpg
the last drawing is a joke :D
I'm not sure want your trying to explain
inkspotproductions
www.bantamstudio.info
abbottalwin

Post by abbottalwin »

OK...I was thinking about this for years and wouldn't know were to ask or were to look for basics sorta information. i just want some info to just get me started.Now you can add guitar effects to the channel and hear them, albeit with varying amounts of latency depending on your buffer settings.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Now you can add guitar effects to the channel and hear them, albeit with varying amounts of latency depending on your buffer settings.
I can hardly wait for the punch line...