OT- Planar Driver Questions - Extreme Near Field use

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

Randyman...

OT- Planar Driver Questions - Extreme Near Field use

Post by Randyman... »

Hello all,

I have a question on Planar Drivers - particuarly a brand called "Bohlender Graebner" stocked at Parts Express.

I am curious how these type drivers perform as a true mid/tweet when crossed over at around 500Hz.

Here is a link to the pariticular driver I am looking at:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl ... 0169&DID=7

I am not familiar with planar drivers and their "sound" or behavior - especially in extremely close quarters.

Oddly enough, this will be for an automotive application in a sound quality installation. This is where my concern for Planar drivers in extereme near-field use comes in. How do they compare to a standard cone midrange and a dome tweeter as far as dispersion and off-axis coloration? They will be used in a top notch mobile system with digital FFR crossovers and 8 channels of time correction with all active amplification (non negative feedback amps with massive headroom) and fully parametric digital equalization prior to D/A conversion.

Any applicable drivers should ideally be 4 Ohm units for my amplifiers, and as long as sensitivity is around 90dB @ 1w/1m, power handling around 50WRMS is fine. A crossover frequency of 500Hz is needed, and they need to reach all the way to 20KHz. These fit the bill perfectly.

These drivers are the right size, and will mount easily on the A-Pillars to bring most of the soundstage up to chest level. I will accompany these with a Vifa 8.75" mid/woofer from 78Hz to 500Hz, and compliment the low end with Four 10" subs in an acoustic suspension enclosure for tight bass.

I'm running MB Quart mid/tweets right now (bi-amped), and I am happy, but I want more Air and transient detail as well as a higher soundstage.

My other option was to run a pair (2) of Tang-Band (or simular) 2" or 3" drivers in an "MTM" style setup with a Scan Speak Ring Radiator between them - all still in the A-Pillars. The mids would run 500Hz-4KHz, and the Tweets from 4KHz up - all actively divided and driven directly by a single amplifier channel per driver.

Any other recommendations are certainly welcome, but I can't put any Glenelec or Adam's in my A-Pillars :wink: ...

Thanks for any input...
I'm just one man!

Randy V.
Audio-Dude/Musician/Crazy Guy