Microphone wiring in wall

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

morribow

Microphone wiring in wall

Post by morribow »

I have built a DIY studio in my basement and have a control room and performance room with xlr wiring between the two. If I connect a standard microphone to the xlr jack in the performance room, then from the xlr jack in the control room to the mixing board, everything works fine - crystal clear sound. However, using a condenser mic connected in the same manner (with phamtom power on mixer), I cannot get a signal. If I connect the condenser mic directly to the mixer, it works fine. So I have kind of ruled out the mixer as being the problem. It's a Behringer Xenyx 1832FX btw.

Is there something with the xlr pin-out in the wall I should have done differently or possibly another problem that could be causing the issue. I am using a 6 Female XLR plate in both rooms. Any help is greatly appreciated.
morribow

Re: Microphone wiring in wall

Post by morribow »

OK, I got the answer I needed. I had the xlr pin wires matched on both sides of the female xlr plates in each wall, but apparently I needed to swap pin wires 2 & 3. Thanks to dvdhawk.