Acoustic hangers

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Paulus87

Re: Acoustic hangers

Post by Paulus87 »

Thanks for sharing Greg, that’s pretty interesting to see it’s most effective around 125hz, but quite poor everywhere else on the spectrum.
Paul
chrisblancato

Post by chrisblancato »

Sorry if the answer to this is painfully obvious, but I've read through this thread a couple of times now and I'm still a bit lost on the hanger core material alternatives.

In Australia, the closest I've been able to find is pinboard material very similar to the Homasote John mentioned. I'm able to get pretty large sheets, however it's only 9mm instead of 12mm. Am I better off going with 9mm cores (assuming it's a very similar product to the 12mm) or going with a thinner sheet of MDF that may mimic the weight of a 12mm sheet of Homasote / Pinboard.

Thankyou!
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Try this company Chris.

https://www.bruynzeel.com.au/products/c ... oftboards/

cheers
john
John Sayers Productions

If this site helps you build your studio please use the Donate button.
chrisblancato

Post by chrisblancato »

John Sayers wrote:Try this company Chris.

https://www.bruynzeel.com.au/products/c ... oftboards/

cheers
john
Perfect, exactly what I needed! Thanks John!!!
TomessAI

Post by TomessAI »

Hello!

I'm also looking for a substitute to Homasote 440 Soundbarrier in Germany...I've come along this company Claytec, who sell wood fiber board. The problem is, it has a lower density than Homasote 440 Soundbarrier:

440 Soundbarrier: 440 kg/m³

Claytec HFA maxi: 250 kg/m³

Could this work as a hanger core? The thickness is 2 cm. If not, does someone know a good substitute material that is available in Germany?

Thank you in advanced,

Thomas
almaelectronix

Post by almaelectronix »

TomessAI wrote:Could this work as a hanger core?
If you are asking if it will support the weight of the hanger without bending or tearing apart then I am certain that it will.

I am using a fiberboard of half your thickness and density less than 300kg/m3 and it supports the weight of a 3.6 meter high and 85cm wide hanger , (with 3cm thick and 20kg/m3 dense insulation on each side attached ) easily without bending or tearing apart.
Paulus87

Post by Paulus87 »

Having never used Homasote yet I am wondering, how are you securing the hooks (for hanging on chains) into the homasote cores? Is it substantial enough to hold the hooks without tear out?

Paul
Paul
TomessAI

Post by TomessAI »

almaelectronix wrote:
TomessAI wrote:Could this work as a hanger core?
If you are asking if it will support the weight of the hanger without bending or tearing apart then I am certain that it will.

I am using a fiberboard of half your thickness and density less than 300kg/m3 and it supports the weight of a 3.6 meter high and 85cm wide hanger , (with 3cm thick and 20kg/m3 dense insulation on each side attached ) easily without bending or tearing apart.
I'm more concerned about the acoustic behaviour. Since there are no real mathematical explanation of how the hangers exactly work, I feel a little insecure about using a substitut material, because I can't calculate absorbing coefficients etc. I fear that because of the lower density the effect the hangers will not be the same as I've seen in the measurements around here (which are very impressive, in context with the space the hangers will occupy).
Paulus87 wrote:Having never used Homasote yet I am wondering, how are you securing the hooks (for hanging on chains) into the homasote cores? Is it substantial enough to hold the hooks without tear out?

Paul
I've seen two methods around here (please correct me if there are more):

1. put screws or hooks in the board side that is facing upwards. I've seen this for small hangers.
2. make a hole at the top of the board and put a sling through. I've seen this for large hangers.

Thomas
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

drill a hole in the hanger and hang it with cable ties. That's the easiest way IMO.
cheers
john
John Sayers Productions

If this site helps you build your studio please use the Donate button.
Paulus87

Post by Paulus87 »

John Sayers wrote:drill a hole in the hanger and hang it with cable ties. That's the easiest way IMO.
cheers
john
Thanks John, nice tip.
Paul
xSpace

Post by xSpace »

TomessAI wrote:Hello!

Seems like if you double that, like use 2 pieces, you increase the absorption ability. I know that this doubling can be frowned upon but it isn't mass we are talking about. It is dense insulation right?
TomessAI

Post by TomessAI »

xSpace wrote:
TomessAI wrote:Hello!

Seems like if you double that, like use 2 pieces, you increase the absorption ability. I know that this doubling can be frowned upon but it isn't mass we are talking about. It is dense insulation right?
Thank you for your reply! :D

The Claytec HFA maxi board is 2 cm thick (a bit thicker than 5/8"). So, if the normal used 440 Soundbarrier for hangers is 1/2" (approximately 1,3cm) it is nearly twice as thick. So, it should be nearly the same form the weight perspective. But I got another question: how to glue the glaswool onto the wood fiber board? Should I use spray glue like this one? It is available where I buy the most of my materials.
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

But I got another question: how to glue the glaswool onto the wood fiber board?
Screws and fender washers :thu:

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
xSpace

Post by xSpace »

I would suggest spray adhesive. Anything that compresses the insulation reduces the ability of the the product to do the job it is intended to do.

A spray glued attachment leaves the product free to do 100 percent of the job it was designed to do.

If you screw it in with washers, while it may still be effective, it has been reduced in effectiveness .
TomessAI

Post by TomessAI »

Gregwor wrote:
But I got another question: how to glue the glaswool onto the wood fiber board?
Screws and fender washers :thu:

Greg
xSpace wrote:I would suggest spray adhesive. Anything that compresses the insulation reduces the ability of the the product to do the job it is intended to do.

A spray glued attachment leaves the product free to do 100 percent of the job it was designed to do.

If you screw it in with washers, while it may still be effective, it has been reduced in effectiveness .
Uh-oh, two Mods and two opinions :mrgreen:

@Gregwor, I've seen those fender washers, do you mean those? I would need ca. 300-400 pieces max. if I use 4 per piece of glasswool sheet. I've calculated it. If I use 4 pieces with screws on both sides i would add 120g of extra mass in total. The mass of the wooden fiber borad is 6,25 kg/m² with 2cm thickness. Most of the pieces of my hagers are 0,9 m² (1,5m x 0,6m), which would be 5,6 kg per piece. So, I would add 2,14 % of mass to them. For the smaller pannels, it would be more of course. Is this negligible?

@xSpace, I would need 15 x 500ml cans, if the datasheet is trustworthy and one can can be used for approximatley 4 m² per can. This would cost me nearly 4 times as much. I would feel more secure if I would use Glue, since it will add nearly no new mass. Otherwise is 440 Soundbarrier slighetly heavier...

What would you guys say?