WALLS & DEGREES

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

ozzie

WALLS & DEGREES

Post by ozzie »

What's up everybody, I'm just here to see if ya can help me out with all this wall and degrees stuff. I read something about each wall has to be 6 degrees to get a 12 degree angle. I then keep on reading and I came a cross something that said 12 degree walls to get a 24 degree angle. Now I now some of the other angles has to do something with the monitors but I'm not ready to go there yet, so can ya answer some of my questions ?

What degrees can I use besides a 6 degree angle for my front walls?

How do I achieve this 6 degree angle or what ever it maybe? Do I

A. cut the ends of the studs of the L/R walls at a 6 degree angle?

B. cut the ends of the stud of the wall that"s in the middle at a 6 degree angle?

C. cut the ends of the studs of the L/R walls and the middle walls at a 6 degree angle?

D. none of the above

What tools can I use to make sure I have the right angle/degrees?

I posted a picture of the studio walls I'm trying to build, so if ya happen to know the angles just by looking at the picture can ya please let me know? I also posted a drawing to see if ya can help me out with the angles/degrees, the black blocks are studs/walls just in case ya didn't know and they are in order with the first blocks being A. The red lines are pointing to the 6 degree cuts on the studs/walls or whatever degree it maybe.

Thank You
Ozzie

P.S.
If I confused ya just let me know I'll try to put it in a diffrent way.
dymaxian

Post by dymaxian »

The front wall of that room is in 3 faces. The left and right faces are probably at 30 degrees while the middle face is probably 'flat'. The reason I say that is because the speakers are soffit-mounted (built into the wall) and to get them positioned and aimed right, that'd be about the best way to build that wall.

The side walls will be very particular to make sure they don't create reflection problems- having sound from the right speaker bounce off a wall and get to the left ear can cause phase problems.

There's a whole series of posts on soffit mounting of speakers and Reflection Free Zones (RFZ) so run a search on those topics and you'll find out plenty of info on that.

As far as angling the other walls to keep flutter echoes from happening, you can use any angles you want. I believe John recommends a 12 degree difference between 2 opposing walls, so you could angle one of them 12 degrees and leave the other alone, or you could shift both of them 6 degrees each so that the total difference is 12 degrees- the second option is the one most often used in side walls for control rooms, to keep the stereo response of the room symmetrical. But there are people who say a 5 degree difference is enough. I haven't built enough studios to have much of an opinon on this... I would err on the side of caution personally.

As far as the actual hammering together of the walls, yeah, you can just cut the bottom plates of one of the walls at an angle to line up with the flat-cut plates of the other wall. Simple enough. You can measure the plates out and use a circular saw if you trust yourself enough; otherwise a chop-saw table will be able to swivel into whatever angle you want.

Not to sound condescending, but the question about what tools to use makes me think you haven't had much construction experience. Before you go out and get gung-ho about building a studio please talk to someone you know that has been building things for a while. If you don't want to hire a carpenter or contractor to build it for you, get someone to help you build it.

Hope this helps - good luck!

Kase
www.minemusic.net
Kase
www.minemusic.net

"to hell with the CD sales! Download the MP3s and come to the shows!"
ozzie

Thanks

Post by ozzie »

Thanks for the info Dymaxian and my bad for taking so long to reply. I was doing some research like you suggested and I kind of understand what everybody is talking about so far but when I get to the building stage I'm pertty sure I 'll be back.
Not to sound condescending, but the question about what tools to use makes me think you haven't had much construction experience.
My brother builds storage sheds and houses for a living and I use to be his little helper but now I work in the office. Never really cut anything while I was working with him but I did pick up a lot of helpful stuff. I built my first little studio by my self and then I found out that I did a lot of things wrong after I found this forum but I guess you live and learn.

Thank You
Ozzie