Sound leak over a wall, between joist space

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

dymaxian

Sound leak over a wall, between joist space

Post by dymaxian »

Ok, I think I've found the last big leak in my room. Both doors have closers and weatherstripping, and to my delight the interior walls are actually doubled (which is wierd for the basement of a duplex) so even though they're not totally separated from the joists over my head, the whole thing is steel so it has some flex to it.

Right now, the bottom of the joists have 1" fiberboard over the entire ceiling. It's heavy stuff, not sure exactly- got it second-hand from an acoustic designer near here, but it's about twice the weight of the 703 I got for my bass traps. Between the joists I stuffed 6" fiberglass blankets, and before I did all this I caulked all the joist edges to the 3/4" OSB floor deck above. So my ceiling is a great bass trap (according to theory), but it's not providing much separation besides the floor deck itself.

But its part of a sound leak, because once LF sound gets into the ceiling area, it goes over the wall diving the studio from the rest of the basement. And from there it goes wherever it wants. So I need to plug the space over that wall, between the joists. Not too big of a deal, really- the joists bear on this wall, and they butt up against each other there, so there's a solid end-plate for each one meeting up right there. I figure I can screw a 2x2 into each side of the joist and set a small plywood rectangle in between each space to plug the leak. There's a heating duct and some plumbing thru one of them, which will be a pain, but it's doable.

I'm just thinking about the joists themselves. The ends are basically a 3.5" 16ga steel stud set on end, and having 2 of them pressed together doesn't make me feel much better. It'd be possible to set a short section of 2x4 into the steel stud, but it'd be a pain in the ass.

My only other option to really fix this would be to drywall or osb the whole ceiling. I do NOT like that idea, and not just for the cost- all the LF absorption I'm getting would vanish, and since my room is basically square I need all I can get.

What do you guys think?

Most of the time I'm talking about the studio I plan to build in the future... the existing room is an exercise in doing what I can with what I have, so don't laugh too hard. ;) Sorry if I spent a lot of typing on a small problem... it's tough to describe without a picture...

Thanks!

Kase
www.minemusic.net
Kase
www.minemusic.net

"to hell with the CD sales! Download the MP3s and come to the shows!"
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Kase, there doesn't appear to be any free lunch in acoustics either - if you want your ceiling to act as a trap, it will be less isolation. More isolation, less trap.

I'm kind of lost when you talk about your ceiling joists as being steel studs - did I miss something here?

The only sure way I know to kill flanking noise is the two leaf, one air space method - the inner leaf needs to be isolated from structure, and broken between rooms. Something like the drawing I did here -

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 8&start=45

(the drawing, not the picture)

Note that sound has two leaves to get through no matter where it tries to go - if the room on the left was not finished, you could put the second barrier leaf vertical over the wall. Also note that the ceiling wallboard is NOT continuous - that would be a big source of flanking. Any surface that is in the room being vibrated needs to be decoupled from structure, or the structure will transmit the vibrations to whatever it touches. Then the vibrations will be re-radiated as sound.

Like I said, I'm kinda confused by part of your description - so I may have answered the wrong question... Steve