flush mounting (soffit mounting) vintage JBL's... ?

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

weatherstation audio

flush mounting (soffit mounting) vintage JBL's... ?

Post by weatherstation audio »

Hi there everyone... this is my very first post here,

I've been poking around this forum and reading about this topic... and yeah, my brain is starting to heart.

The company I work for is in the preliminary stages of designing a new studio, in our newly purchased building... the one level building houses a big ol' warehouse with 13' foot ceilings and the exterior walls are brick and cinder block with thick concrete floors (no basement)... we seem to have a pretty sturdy structure to work with.

I have a pair of vintage JBL 4333 monitors (re-coned recently) that are sitting around collecting dust... it would be nice to put them to good use as the flush mounting monitors in our new studio control room.

I've seen John Sayers post about mixed results on some JBL boxes for flush mounting... meaning, too much coupling of bass frequencies... perhaps transmitting through the wall frames ?

It seems that I would need to have them sit on a stack concrete cinder blocks or something of that nature to decouple them from any of the wall frames... does this kind of design work ?

cheers

Marc
John Sayers
Site Admin

Re: flush mounting (soffit mounting) vintage JBL's... ?

Post by John Sayers »

Hey Marc - just noticed your post.

Soffit the damn things - screw them down and add a strong baffle around them so what comes out the front is not confused by what happens behind.