Running 2-3 cables in conduit...

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

camistan

Running 2-3 cables in conduit...

Post by camistan »

Greetings!
I've got 3 questions I hope can be answered here...

Question#1
I was considering combining a L-R MAIN out cable send from my Mixer (to my MAIN speaker's power amp) with my L-R STUDIO out cable send (from my Mixer to the STUDIO'S speaker power amp...BTW, both power amps will be in the same location in the same rack). In other words, 4 cables (Four Mogami #2549 cables) in 1 conduit carrying similar type signals. Would this cause me EMI problems?

Question#2
When using Mogami cable for 2 different runs exactly like the ones stated above, would there be a problem in using TWO Mogami 6 conductor cables (Mogami 2930) as opposed to FOUR Mogami 2549 cables?

Question #3
I will have extended runs (50-75ft) using RGB and USB repeater cables. What issues would there be in combining 2 RGB cables in 1 conduit and 3 USB repeater cables in 1 conduit ("IF" it's even possible to do so)?

Thanx!
Stan
Take Care and GOD Bless
Stan
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Running 2-3 cables in conduit...

Post by Soundman2020 »

I will have extended runs (50-75ft) using RGB and USB repeater cables. What issues would there be in combining 2 RGB cables in 1 conduit and 3 USB repeater cables in 1 conduit ("IF" it's even possible to do so)?
Don't know about the other questions, but with USB you can only go about 4m per segment before you need a repeater. So you'd need at least 6 segments to get to 75 feet. Repeaters need power, so you'd have to run power cables in the conduit too. Then there is the issue of: what happens if one of the plugs 30 feet down the pipe develops a bad connection...? ...

Save yourself some trouble, and buy a USB extender kit, that converts the USB to standard RJ45 CAT-5, which you can run hundreds of feet with no problems. I often install 75 foot runs with those things for video post production studios, and they work just fine. Several manufacturers make them. Take your pick.
Funhouse

Post by Funhouse »

For question 1: It is fine to run the different signals through the same conduit. The Mogami shield is all you need to mitigate the EMI between runs. There is far more EMI generated in the path from exterior sources when conduit is not properly installed, and good shielded cable usually takes care of it anyway.

#2: Combining to multi-run snakes is fine as long as there is individual shielding. The wire you spec'd does have the proper shield. You wouldn't believe the number of 24 pair runs I regularly cram into 2" conduits....In world class studios!

Happy wiring!
xSpace

Post by xSpace »

Funhouse wrote:"...You wouldn't believe the number of 24 pair runs I regularly cram into 2" conduits....In world class studios!

Your right ;)