Atc Flush or slightly protruding

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

kie

Atc Flush or slightly protruding

Post by kie »

Hi guys,

Just about to finish the studio. i have my Atc smc 50 monitors in their place but the front corners are slightly rounded. I have noticed in a number of posts, Lou's etc that the speaker edgeis sitting out the depth of the curve past the ply on the front wall.

I have searched but havn't yet found the definitive opinion on this. Could any one help clear up this for me?

Thanks Joe
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Atc Flush or slightly protruding

Post by Soundman2020 »

Hey Joe. I'd suggest you contact the manufacturer for their recommendation on how to soffit mount them correctly. It seems that each manufacturer has their own specific recommendation for their speakers. For example, Genelec sells a soffit mounting kit for some models of their speakers that sticks out of the wall a bit.

So I'd start by calling the manufacturer for advice. They might even have a kit that you can buy to do it properly.

But the general rule of thumb is that the front plane of the speaker should be exactly flush with the front plane of the soffit panel. The theory is that the soffit panel and the front of the speaker act together as one single "infinite baffle". So if you have an awkward curve or angle on the speaker, then probably you'll need to do some fancy carpentry on the soffit panel to get it as flush as possible. In my case, I have Adam A7 speakers, which have angled surfaces on the front of the speaker cabinet, so I have to cut out angled planes on the back of the panel to get a snug fit.

I also noticed that you mention using "ply" for your soffit, and in some of John's designs he does in fact mention plywood, but the more recent recommendations here are for denser materials, such as HDF or MDF, and in my case I'm planning to use concrete. You need to have the material as dense and massive as possible. Plywood will work, but thick HDF would be better if you can get it, or even thick MDF.

- Stuart -
kie

Re: Atc Flush or slightly protruding

Post by kie »

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the reply. I contacted Atc today and they advised me to leave the front of the speaker protruding for the amount ot the radius.
Saves me a bit of tricky carpentry!!

Thanks Joe