New VSTi - Charango

Get your "what mic?" frustration or "have you heard" out here. The language could get real okka in here mate.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

CLuna

New VSTi - Charango

Post by CLuna »

Hi. Just wanted to share this video with you guys, as I know many people here is into composing and VSTis. And also I know there are some guys from South America around here, I´m sure you´ll all like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCptqIW15lU

Enjoy and let me know what you think! :D

(I hope it´s ok to post this link here. If not, let me know and I´ll remove it ASAP!)
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: New VSTi - Charango

Post by Soundman2020 »

Well, it is a little off topic, but pretty cool nevertheless! The sound is reasonable, but neeeds a bit of work still, I think. Strumming doesn't sound too bad, but individual strings sound a bit too "electronic" for my likings.

Thanks! It's good to see VSTi's for unusual instruments! Maybe decent pan pipes would be next?

- Stuart -
CLuna

Post by CLuna »

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I agree with you on the fact that the sounds needs some work - in fact, the samples are just temp samples, for testing purposes (while programming the whole logic), and were recorded using a pickup installed in the instrument - final samples will be recorded with a finer instrument, using better preamps and good mikes. It´s just that I couldn´t wait to show some of my work - in - progress :D . But I wonder what you mean by "too electronic"?

Pan pipes are a good idea, but next in my list (once the charango VSTi is finished) is peruvian cajón, a traditional percussion instrument.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

But I wonder what you mean by "too electronic"?
Difficult to describe exactly... maybe kind of "twangy" would be the best word? As though there is no real "body" to the sound: It seems like you have the sound of the string itself, but not of the actual instrument. Kind of "synthetic", not natural. I guess it might be the pre-amp, too.

I'd suggest that you try micing the instrument itself to get your samples, rather than through a pickup. I've had reasonable results on a charango by micing it similar to an acoustic guitar, roughly around the area where the neck joins the body, and as far away as you can get the mic without losing the distinctive sound. Now, if you can just get the musician to hold still while you record, and NOT move the thing all over!!!!! :)

But seriously, it holds promise. Good work!

- Stuart -