Bedroom Studio - Kingspan TR27 - Advise

Find out where to get building materials in your local area. If you find a good outlet post it and others will be able to access it through the search engine.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

TwelveTen

Bedroom Studio - Kingspan TR27 - Advise

Post by TwelveTen »

Hi, my first post in the forum. I have been researching in here for a while, a total newcomer to studio acoustics so I will try my best to use the forum correctly! :)

I have been given free of charge some Kingspan TR27 which is listed as LOFT Insulation. I am looking to build absorber panels for a bedroom studio and am trying to find out if the Kingspan TR27 is suitable for absorbing sound. I realise that ideally I should use "rigid rockwool cavity wall slabs' but am looking to save money if possible, I can also get more of this material FOC. Have searched the forum for kingspan with no results, which answers my question I guess, but if anyone can give me a quick answer or advice it would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance

TT
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Bedroom Studio - Kingspan TR27 - Advise

Post by Soundman2020 »

Maybe you could check the manufacturers web site, and see if they have any kind of specs on it at all? That might help.
TwelveTen

Post by TwelveTen »

Hi, apologies, I should have done this before asking. . .

Ok from my very limited (but growing) knowledge of density I have found the maths on the internet -

Kingspan TR27 - 32 kg/m

Rockwool RW3 - 60kg/m

So if anybody does come across Kingspan TR27 I hope this helps, or perhaps it was just me :)
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Kingspan TR27 - 32 kg/m
Andre or Ro can probably answer with more authority, but from my limited understanding of insulation, that should work reasonably well. It's a bit lighter than is recommended here (48 kg/m3), but I would imagine that it will still work, albeit not as well. But if you are getting it for such a good price, then you can always double up on thickness, I guess!

- Stuart -
TwelveTen

Post by TwelveTen »

Thanks Stuart, I have now managed to get hold of RW3, the TR27 is 100mm thick so would be fairly chunky doubled up!!
Cheers
Andy
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

the TR27 is 100mm thick so would be fairly chunky doubled up!!
That's about 8 inches, roughly? Perfect for a broadband absorber on your rear wall! :) 8 inches of absorption at the back would be pretty good.

- Stuart -
TwelveTen

Post by TwelveTen »

Thats a nice tip thanks Stuart, will add that to my plan.

Cheers
Andy