Building dairy of a Dutch recording studio

Discuss studios designed and built by others.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

jeroenmuller

Re: Building dairy of a Dutch recording studio

Post by jeroenmuller »

Haha, "year notification", :D I'll hope it all be finished in 2009.
But, maybe you're right,... probably I should take an extra month time,...

So last Friday (a part of) the Plasterboard, wood and rockwool arived.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

The place where you see this three way problem wall it is indeed a double inner wall and than devided with 40cm space for HAVC channels and then comes the outside wall,
One more question: That "outer wall". Is that also a stud wall, with plasterboard on the inside of the studs and something else on the outside? Or is it a solid concrete or brick wall?

- Stuart -
jeroenmuller

Post by jeroenmuller »

The outer wall is a thin (1,5 cm) "plastic" wall, which isolates the temperature very well, but it is a terrible sound isolator.
jeroenmuller

Post by jeroenmuller »

Today, the first building day. We started with the back wall behind the vocal & drum booth.
The outher wall gets extra isolation, because of thin wall on the outside. In front of the outer wall we make a double leaf construction. As you can see on the pictures below we are now busy with the outer leaf.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

The outher wall gets extra isolation, because of thin wall on the outside. In front of the outer wall we make a double leaf construction.
So you decided to NOT fix your problem with the triple-leaf design? I don't recall if you said it or not, but I guess low frequency isolation is not important to you.
jeroenmuller

Post by jeroenmuller »

Soundman2020 wrote:
The outher wall gets extra isolation, because of thin wall on the outside. In front of the outer wall we make a double leaf construction.
So you decided to NOT fix your problem with the triple-leaf design? I don't recall if you said it or not, but I guess low frequency isolation is not important to you.
Well if the outside wall was a solid brick wall then I would go for the double leaf construction. But the outside wall is not made of brick (as you can see on previous posted pictures) and the existing outside wall is so thin (1 cm) that I chose to stick to the idea of first isolating the outher wall and then make the double leaf construction inside.
jeroenmuller

Post by jeroenmuller »

Some more pictures
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

and the existing outside wall is so thin (1 cm) that I chose to stick to the idea of first isolating the outher wall and then make the double leaf construction inside.
Well, as long as you are aware of the limitations of a three-leaf wall, and you can live with them! That's what matters.

That "second" wall you are putting up now, in those latest photos, that is attached to the roof: That is the "outer leaf", right?
jeroenmuller

Post by jeroenmuller »

Soundman2020 wrote:
and the existing outside wall is so thin (1 cm) that I chose to stick to the idea of first isolating the outher wall and then make the double leaf construction inside.
Well, as long as you are aware of the limitations of a three-leaf wall, and you can live with them! That's what matters.

That "second" wall you are putting up now, in those latest photos, that is attached to the roof: That is the "outer leaf", right?
I'm really curious what the difference in sound will be of a three leave wall compared to a double leaf wall in my construction. When it's finished i'll do some tests to measure the difference. I'll let you know.

What you'll see at the pictures is indeed the outer leaf (leaf 2).
jeroenmuller

Post by jeroenmuller »

So here i'm back again,...
It took a while, because I have to admit, working, building a studio, a little bit of sleep and posting on the forum doesn't fit in a 24 hour day.
But i took some pictures while building, so here they are.
jeroenmuller

Post by jeroenmuller »

And more pictures
jeroenmuller

Post by jeroenmuller »

And more pictures,...
Ro

Post by Ro »

jeroenmuller wrote: I'm really curious what the difference in sound will be of a three leave wall compared to a double leaf wall in my construction. When it's finished i'll do some tests to measure the difference. I'll let you know.
In a 3 leaf the TL gets worse on lower frequencies. NOT a good thing for studios...
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

I'm confused by your latest photos, especially this one:

To me, it looks like those are now your inner-leaf walls, yet it looks like they are touching the outer-leaf ceiling! Is that correct? Or is that not the outer-leaf ceiling? Or are you planning to fix that mistake?

- Stuart -
malfunction

Post by malfunction »

jeroenmuller wrote: I'm really curious what the difference in sound will be of a three leave wall compared to a double leaf wall in my construction. When it's finished i'll do some tests to measure the difference. I'll let you know.

What you'll see at the pictures is indeed the outer leaf (leaf 2).
I'm curious how will you be comparing the results once the construction is done? Are you going to measure the TL as it is and then remove the third leaf and measure again?
You would've been better off with beefing up the outer wall and building just the second leaf. It's common knowledge that 2-leaf system(which is called "M-A-M" as in mass-air-mass) is better than 3-leaf system and you should really listen to what these experts here have to say. It'll save you a TON of grief in the end and you will have a better studio!
Here's a reference:
http://www.saecollege.de/reference_mate ... /Walls.htm

Just take the advice these guys are giving you, they really know what they are talking about. Really.

Good luck!

Tomi