What is the Best way to install 2 sliding glass doors?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

fbars

What is the Best way to install 2 sliding glass doors?

Post by fbars »

Hello to all, great forum!!!

What is the best and proper "studio way" to install 2 sliding glass doors which seperate the control room from the studio? The doors are splayed so they WILL NOT be parallel. All walls are double 2x4, insulation in all air gap with 2 layers of 5/8 drywall on the "outsides" of each. I'm trying to find the best method and material to use to seal the doors on their respective wall. Also what method is used where the wall are "joined"? In my case one side is approx. 6 inches (2x4 to 2x4) and the other is about 12 inches (2x4 to 2x4). I'm not sure if joining the walls with solid framing is the smartest thing to do.

Anyone out there found a good method? Are you satisfied with the results?

Thanks to all,

Tom
Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones »

Most sliding glass door have a flange on one side that gets screwed to the rough opening.
Be sure to use plenty of caulk against the rough opening BEFORE you put the door flange up there. Then when you screw the flange up all that caulk gets squished into it really well and provides a nice seal.

I would advise against solid framing between the two walls as that will negate your isolation.

For the space between the 2 doors:
Nail a 2x4 above the finished door (6-12 inches should be plenty).
Do the same thing to the other door.
Use those 2x4's as nailers for TWO SEPARATE pieces of sheetrock. Make sure there's a small gap between the 2 pieces of sheetrock.
Cover those two pieces of sheetrock with some 703 and fabric.
You're home free!
fbars

Post by fbars »

Michael,

Thanks for the reply and info! My ideas were along the line you stated, since my main concern was to keep my isolation etc. as intact as possible. I was surprised to see only one post. I thought a lot of studios used 2 glass sliding doors, you sure see a lot of them in photos.

I'll let you know how it goes. I've followed your posts, I KNOW what you did today, most likely the same as me!!

Thank you,

Tom
fbars

Post by fbars »

Hi all,

Anyone else with any words of wisdom about the installation of 2 sliding glass doors??

Thanks,

Tom
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Tom, I've been really buried lately but Michael has covered this well. He's speaking from recent experience along with occasional help from both John and myself, so there's not a lot I could add. Do you have any specific doubts or questions? If so, let's hear them... Steve
fbars

Post by fbars »

Steve,

No further questions, Michael did cover it very well!
Thanks to all on this fantastic forum, for giving your time and knowledge.

Tom
First Bass Audio
fbars

Post by fbars »

Sorry about the double posts, seems to happen everytime!!
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

What double posts? :wink: Seriously though, that is kinda wierd - the board claims they were like 25 minutes apart - I've been getting some other strange things lately too, must be the full moon in aussieland... Steve