Video link system

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

danielpate

Video link system

Post by danielpate »

Hi,

Sorry if this has already been covered elsewhere in the forum, I have tried searching, but am obviously not using the right search criterea! Also searching on google seems to bring up nothing specific to recording studios (although, again, i am probably using the wrong search terms)

Basically, our school is setting up a recording studio, and I am currently drawing up a budget of what equipment will be needed. Unfortunately, due to the design of the building, we won't be able to have the live room next to the control room, so a window between the two won't be possible. I am looking for some sort of video link system between the two, and was wondering where would be a good place to start my search? We have a few thousand pounds to spend on it.

Any help would be much appriciated!
Thanks a lot,
Dan
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Video link system

Post by Soundman2020 »

Hi Dan,

A couple of questions:

1) What is the distance between the two rooms?
2) Are both rooms on the same electrical circuit and same electrical ground?
3) Do you need video going both ways, or only from the LR to the CR?
4) What kind of cabling do you already have between the two rooms (audio, Ethernet, available conduit, etc.)
5) What do you want to see?

The last one is the tough question. You need to think about that one carefully. If all you want is a general blurry overview of the LR on a small monitor in the CR, then even a cheap little black & white CCTV security system with a 4 inch monitor will do the job, and for just a few dollars.

But if you want to see detailed high resolution color images from several different angles, in widely varying lighting conditions, with video going both ways, with the ability to pan, tilt and zoom the cameras to get close ups of specific areas, then that's another issue entirely, and you are up in the several thousand dollar range now.

Those are the two extremes you are looking at. Obviously, your situation will lie somewhere in between those, but you have to decide on what it is.

I'd say that before you can start quoting equipment you need to define your expectations clearly.

Just the same as you can't decide on the budget for a mic or a console until you know what you are going to do with it, so to you can't decide on the budget for the camera(s), mounting(s), monitor(s), and controller(s) you need for the video link, until you know what you plan to do with them.

- Stuart -
danielpate

Post by danielpate »

Hi Stuart,

I'm not sure of the exact distance im afraid, I will try and find out! Attatched is the plans for the block I have at the moment, with the live room and control room labeled. I realise without dimensions it might not be all that useful, but might give you some idea of the distance!

The block is a new one (construction has not yet started, we're only in the planning stage), and connections between the rooms have not yet been decided, this is something I need to think about! I will need both audio and video connections..

As for being on the same electrical circuit, again I will bring it up next time I am able to talk about it with the business manager, and let you know! Sorry I cant give too many specific details at the moment, I was really looking for a rough idea of what is available at the moment for budgets, but will be back for more specific setup information nearer the time :)

As for what we will need to see then, I suppose a reasonably clear picture would be best, possibly going both ways. It is for a school, where music technology lessons will be taught, so id imagine it is important for the students to be able to see clearly what is happening in the live room when learning about how to mic up a drum kit etc. Thinking about it though, maybe just CR-LR would be okay... It all depends on cost I suppose. Any suggestions would be much appreciated, and any more questions I will do my best to answer! When I know more details about the project I will let you know too

Thanks a lot,
Dan
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

I'm trying to understand that sketch, but it's not making much sense!

Either that's an absolutely huge live room, or you have a really tiny, long, thin studio.... !

Anyway, based on what you said, I'd suggest that you take a look at standard CCTV type equipment for your cameras, lenses, PTZ bases, controllers, switchers and suchlike, but use normal flat screen monitors in your rooms. If your live room really is that big, you are probably going to be needing two or more cameras, at least, to get decent coverage. But only one (if any) going the other way.

It's really hard to say, given so little information.

- Stuart -
mika

Post by mika »

When i set the standard doorwidth to 85cm you have enough space to build the CR in the same area where the LR is planed.
As Stuart already asked, what about electricity?
When you set the CR next to the LR you won't have grounding problems, and also no problems with visual comunication.
Also your planed CR have a very bad shape, and ist not big enough to get some students inside!
Before plan a Video system, think about the roomlayout!

cheers
mika