Studio layout, design and construction

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

mika

Re: Studio layout, design and construction

Post by mika »

oops, my bad
no problem.
i`m happy to have some response here, and the good feeling, that somebody is watching me, and have a chance to see some misstakes before it's not possible to fix it anymore!
thanks and cheers
mika
mika

Post by mika »

For all the frameing freaks:
Work is going on.
cheers
Mika
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Maybe it's just the angle of the photos, but it looks a lot like the tops of your inner-leaf walls are touching your outer-leaf ceiling!

Also, are you planning to seal up those windows before you start hanging sheetrock? They need to be sealed.
mika

Post by mika »

Maybe it's just the angle of the photos, but it looks a lot like the tops of your inner-leaf walls are touching your outer-leaf ceiling!
They are decoupled at floor and celling with neoprene tape, and the screws have only contact to the steelframe by neoprenediscs( i don't know the rigth word for it :oops: )
Also, are you planning to seal up those windows before you start hanging sheetrock?
No! A seal will be a third leaf. For this reason i get down the old woodpannels in front of the windows
But don't worry about soundisolation, the most important thing is to reduce airborne soundtransmission from the foyer/room next door, in the frequency range of crying kids :wink:
When i make noise it is no problem.
I need MY silence!

cheers
Mika
mika

Post by mika »

Hi :D
Since i had to take a break cuased by not feeling my fingers at the right hand anymore i had to lay down sunday and monday.
I cotinued building today with half power.
I started to get up the first layer of gypsum today. Not finished jet, but almost 75% of the CR.

I also strated with the "floating floor" which is not realy floating. I did decouple the floor by special rigid insulation for floors, to get an even floor. Maybee it will have some benefit for isolation, but when not it's also ok. :wink:

cheers
Mika
mika

Post by mika »

There is a littlebit of progress these days.

I will start the celling and the vent-ducting at monday.
here are some pics from today.

controllroom

recordingroom :

cheers
mika
xSpace

Post by xSpace »

Hey Mika, you may have already cleared this up. What about the radiator heaters...those no longer work?
mika

Post by mika »

Yes, they are out of buisness for my studio.
The will still run at minimumn level to make sure that i have a decent temprature between the walls, but the aircondition in my rooms is seperated.
cheers
Mika
mika

Post by mika »

Hi :D

i short before starting the cellig construction, but before i start to build, i have a short question.

Is it right that the woofer of the Spreaker has to be also at 38% of the roomhight?

i plan to give my celling a shaped which is starting to go up where the soffits end, so i can have my ears and the woofer at 38% of the hight dimension.
is this a good choice?

cheers
Mika
AVare
Confused, but not senile yet

Post by AVare »

mika wrote: Is it right that the woofer of the Spreaker has to be also at 38% of the roomhight?
No. As it turns out, it works out to about the same same anyway. Position the speakers so that the acoustic centre is at 1.2 m. The acoustic centre is between the tweeter and woofer, closer to the tweeter. If you look at your drawing, the woofer will end up near there anyway.

Andre
Good studio building is 90% design and 10% construction
mika

Post by mika »

Thanks for your advice Andre
i have the choice to make the cellig up to 3,2m in the front and about 3,5m at the back of the CR.
After your advice, i think the best is to make the cellig 3,15m so the acoustical speaker center is at 38%.
Right?

i have also an idea for the acoustic celling construction.
I plan to build a false celling with cloth at 2m in the front and about 2,5m in the back of CR.
Under the false celling a want to hang every 5 cm a Isover TP1 pannel diagonally from the celling so i have a 1m deep Basstrap made of a kind of hangers, but without soft fiberbord, just simple insulation.

Do you think this will work good?
It`s a kind of very thick cloud.

What do you think about this idea?
cheers
mika
AVare
Confused, but not senile yet

Post by AVare »

Forget about speaker location when determining ceiling height. Focus on the room ratios.

Andre
Good studio building is 90% design and 10% construction
mika

Post by mika »

Thanks for your patient tips for our asinine questions Andre

:D

I`m sorry but there was no progress the last two weeks, because i moved into another apartment, and had to renovate my old appartment, and also build in a kitchen in the new one.
There is alot of work when you move.
i hope to continue building in februar.
cheers
Mika
mika

Post by mika »

After a long Time without any updates i think it`s time to show you a little progress in my build.

Since i had to spend a few weeks for my Job in Tehran, i continued building last week.
Celling in the CR is done, also the last layer of gypsum in the CR wall.
I started with the huge Basstrap-frames (nearly 1m x 1m) all around the celling, where i also put in the halogen spots.

Yesterday i started with the construction of the soffitwall for my Yamaha MSP 10, after i recieved the important guidlines from the Yamaha suport about flushmounting.

For Ventilation i use 2 seperate fans for the CR and the LR.
For the ductwork i used drainpipes for the long ways, since they are very cheap, and little bigger the than original ventilation ducts. For the end, i will use flexducts to reach the final position, with big silencers with a huge diameter.
So i hace 2 silencers in the pushing cycle and 2 in the suckingcycle. One where pipes go into the room, and one where ducts end.

here are some photos:

cheers
mika
mika

Post by mika »

Soffitwall building continued today.
I started to fill the back with a kind of 703 and a few hangers and put on the basic layer of 25mm mdf, in the upper area af the soffitwall.
next step is to fill the space near the floor with hangers, and also cover it with 25mm mdf.
Over the 25mm MDF there will come 2 layers of 12,5mm gypsum for the finish.

cheers
Mika :D