Re: Moving into new house...ungrounded

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

blizzard

Post by blizzard »

Hi everyone,

I am going to moving into a new (older) house in the next few days and have a question regarding electrical.

I am going to have an electrician into the house to deal with some kitchen problems. The whole house is ungrounded (as are most older homes), and as far as I know, so is the large room in the basement I'm going to use for a studio.

I'm worried about having ground related problems in the new space due to the fact that the house is ungrounded.

Is there anything that I should have the electrician look for or test while he is there? Is this new space going to be a nightmare?

Any tips on what to have the electrician look for would be great!

Thanks everyone,
Andrew
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

It's possible in some of these older homes, that there's a wire grounding to a water pipe (which isn't very good).

If you have the means to, or access to the wiring, can you pull new grounded wiring and new outlets, as well as installing a new grounding rod? Possibly where your studio will be located, only ground (preferrably star ground) those outlets?
deedz

Post by deedz »

get him to ground your panel to the incoming water pipes. then run new wire to your studio and everything will be bounded. to have all your other circuits grounded all u have to do is for every wire hook it up to faceless gfci run new from panel to that and hook up the old wire to cicuit to it too then its protected.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Deedz, why are you replying to dead threads that are over four YEARS old? Also, please check the forum rules for posting: Right now you are not complying with them.

Thanks.

- Stuart -