Is this soffit design correct? (done in Sketchup)

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

natural11

Is this soffit design correct? (done in Sketchup)

Post by natural11 »

I was having a little trouble fully understanding Johns 2D drawing of the soffit design. (carpentry is not my forte - yet)
So I tried to make as detailed 3d version as I could. I'm intending to use this design shortly.
If someone could please double ck my work before I hand this over to the contractor.
I've included a pic and the sketchup file, which has all the wood and insulation layers separated . (clik on the tabs)
This site is a wealth of knowledge.
If this design is correct, I hope it provides help to others.
thanks,
t
Skai_Penalva

Re: Is this soffit design correct? (done in Sketchup)

Post by Skai_Penalva »

hey i did the exact same thing with my soffit walls and now i'm thinking i may have done it wrong. plz let me knoe if u ended up doing ur soffits like that or if u changed the design. i'm considering tearing them down and redoing them :?
Sometimes the greatest risk is playing it safe
natural11

Post by natural11 »

Apparently my efforts were not correct.
See this:
http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... =4&t=11268

John is not what you would call gabby. Can't get anyone here to elaborate further. (I have several questions pending around the site, with little or no resopnse from anyone)
I reviewed his original design, but from the 2D info, I just couldn't get my head around it. There's a couple of braces that are missing from my version, but I'm guessing I'm missing more.
So I've taken it as far as I could. Without another nugget from the pro's I'm pretty much lost, and so, I've abandoned this approach for the time being.
Thomas Anthony
Natural Sound
www.NaturalSoundRecording.com
Daytona Bch, Florida.
Skai_Penalva

Post by Skai_Penalva »

i dld ur sketchup file and it seems to me it's exactly as john's design... the only diffs i see in urs is u only have one bass hangar, which i suppose is just there as an example and also to leave some space to see the rest of ur design. and the other thing i don't see is the ventilation shaft on the top of the panel... that's about it... oh and the wooden frames that support the bottom platform that holds the speakerbox aren't there... other than that it's exactly how i understand john's design. if we're both wrong i'd really love someone to explain it to us! :lol:
Skai_Penalva

Post by Skai_Penalva »

Hey man, John replied to your earlier post and he linked a file download where there was a detailed plan of the soffit design. Frankly, it looks exactly like yours. I am still not clear what we did wrong, well I think I know what I did wrong, but honestly it looks exactly like yours.

Hey wait man.. I just noticed something in your design. The front wall doesn't close all the way. What I mean is the wall frame for the front wall of the speaker does not connect with the center wall. You have some sort of cloth layer only that connects the front walls with the center wall. This leaves a big gap between the walls and is not an airtight space. If this is how you intended to do it, then that's what might be wrong with it. Check out the link John gave me

http://johnlsayers.com/Stuff/Small_Studio.skp

And check out what he replied to me in your earlier post:

http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11268

Maybe that helps you.

Skai
natural11

Post by natural11 »

Thanks everyone for resusitating this topic.
yes, I was aware that the structure needed to be airtight.
I'll have to recheck. You're probably right about the cloth. But I thought I had included a part to solve that. Maybe that's where I went wrong.
Also I did leave a vent both in the box and at the very top of the frame. (Please confirm that the vent in the top of the 'box' is only really necessary for powered speakers. and hole is bottom is necessary for wiring)
After studing his origianl 2d design I also saw more braces around the 'box'. on the shelf.
Unfortunately I'm on the road at the moment and can't run sketchup on this computer. So I'll have to wait until next week.
I have a meeting with the contractor in a few weeks, So I'm hoping to have all my ducks in a row by then.

thanks again.
Thomas Anthony
Natural Sound
www.NaturalSoundRecording.com
Daytona Bch, Florida.