Junction box wiring - ground wires?

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

theasylum

Junction box wiring - ground wires?

Post by theasylum »

Hey all, Ive been reading and refering to this site a lot as Ive been setting up my home studio over the past year or so, and just as stuff is getting finished up, im having a bit of a tough time preparing my junction box. I have a pre-drilled plate and have screwed in 16 MXLR (mics) and 8 FXLR (returns) panel mounts to this panel. I have purchased a 24-core multicore cable - but it each individual core has the two audio cables (for pins 2 and 3), the shield around the two, and another silver, open cable. I have no idea what this is for! I havent had experience soldering junction boxes together but I have had a fair bit of experience doing regular mic cables and TRS cables, etc.. If anyone could help me this would be great!! The multicore cable i bought is this - http://www.jansen.co.nz/product.php?g=1 ... &sku=CMT24

I will post pictures to explain what I mean when I get home from work.

Cheers!
Johnny
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

Hi Johnny,

The silver wire is what is often referred to as a drain wire, or your shield. You can do one of two things. You can use the outer shielding and the silver shield wire and connect to pin 1, or you can connect just the silver shield wire to pin 1 and cut off the extra shielding. (I don't know if you have foil or copper shielding).