XLR Plates to Patchbay?

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

NativeLuv17

XLR Plates to Patchbay?

Post by NativeLuv17 »

Hey guys, just joined the forum, what a great place. Anyhow, I'm in the process of building my own studio, and have been a audio student for a while, yet in the process of designing this project I have come across a concern in which I believe my education never covered. I have a tough time determining connections electrically and was wondering for my fellow peer's inputs. So this is what I am hoping to achieve -

1) Install a 16 XLRf plate in the live room, and a 4 in the vocal booth, soldering the panels to a 16 channel snake with pre existing 1/4 inch trs balanced connectors on the other end.

2) Connect the 20 1/4 inch ends to the outs of a Neutrik NYSSPPL 48-Point TRS Balanced Patchbay in my control room and set them to half-normaled.

3) With 12 1/4 inch to XLRm coming from the (output matched) ins on the patchbay, into 8 mic pres on my digimax fs and 4 on my 003. (I know still small)

I want to be able to use both sets of mic pres on either device and in each room, and make room for more pres in the future, so I want to use a patchbay.

I know I explained the signal flow a little backwards, but will this work, or am I completely lost? Am I missing any steps, or are there any concerns I should be aware of?
AVare
Confused, but not senile yet

Post by AVare »

The basic concept of a mic patch bay is sound. For mic level signals though you need to have connections with larger surface area. Either standard patch bay connectors or xlrs with hanging pigtails.

Andre
NativeLuv17

Post by NativeLuv17 »

Surface Area????
AVare

Post by AVare »

NativeLuv17 wrote:Surface Area????
Contact surface area of the connectors and the switches. Adding to that, corrosion resistance becomes very important.

I did not mention it, but it is good practice to have unique connectors for mic level patching to avoid damaging equipment with wrong levels, 48V etc.

Andre
NativeLuv17

Post by NativeLuv17 »

I think Im gonna roll with a Redco TT/DB25 96pt Patchbay, which can handle my rerouting mic signal desire. Go Xlrf to db25 for my outs, and run db25 to xlrm/trs/ts for the ins. Blaca!!!
AVare

Post by AVare »

Have fun. Make sure get a burnishing tool and injector for the patchbay. Markertek has some here.

Andre