Crazy idea

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

ljudfinnen

Crazy idea

Post by ljudfinnen »

Hi all!

I'm quite new to this forum, however I'm not new to sound engineering and acoustics.

I have this crazy idea of a construction that I will probably never build. It just got me thinking.

I want to build an anechoic room for acoustic measurement. It doesn't have to be big (or does it?), just enough to make some measurements on small speakers and microphones.

Should I build it like a "room in the room" for maximum sound-proofing and then just add really thick absorbing materials to the walls, ceiling and floor? Is it that simple or is there anything else that I should think of? I have been to a couple of anechoic rooms so basically I know what they look like. I thought I'd ask because I don't think I will find any drawing on the net for "DIY anechoic acoustics lab".

Have a nice day!

/A
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Recently started reading a couple of Philip Newell's books, he mentions an anechoic chamber used in a vibration test facility next door to him - the wedges of foam are over 3 feet thick, and the room is only anechoic down to 70 hZ (which seems still too good to be true ) in acoustics, as in sex, size DOES matter.

Your idea isn't so crazy as it is under-researched - you could go to google, and just start typing in terms like audio wavelength, bass trap, anechoic chamber, etc, and there's enough info to be able to read until your eyeballs fall out. (some of it is even pertinent :? )

Today's crazy ideas are tomorrow's new inventions; go for it... Steve