Screaming Deal on Rockboard (and maybe 703 too?)

Find out where to get building materials in your local area. If you find a good outlet post it and others will be able to access it through the search engine.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

mazekl

Screaming Deal on Rockboard (and maybe 703 too?)

Post by mazekl »

Excuse the crosspost with AVS Forum, but this was valuable information to me and I thought I'd share it.

I just bought 114 sf of 2" 6 lb rockboard and 96 sf of 4" 8 lb rockboard for $184.27 including tax and shipping. :D

I bought it in Birmingham Alabama from Shook and Fletcher, but they have several other locations in the Southeast. They are also a dealer for Certainteed, J-M, Knauf and Owens Corning, so I bet they can get your Certainteed Commercial Board 300, J-M I/S 300, Knauf Insulation Board and O-C 703 fiberglass board too. I'd guess they'd probably also have great deals on those fiberglass board products, but I really didn't check.

A week ago I talked to the folks at the Shook and Fletcher central phone number - they were just as disinterested in our small projects as all the other commercial suppliers seem to be. :evil: Today I just walked into one of their offices and met Randy Durbin. He is happy as heck to handle the kinds of little sales we need - so I told him I'd post his name and number out on the forums we frequent. Contact him directly at (205) 595-8441 or rdurbin@ShookAndFletcher.com.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not affiliated with Shook and Fletcher, nor related to, nor otherwise acquainted with Randy - I'm just a happy customer.

BTW, I spent a whole week exchanging emails and phone calls with manufacturers and dealers all over the country. Originally I was very ignorant about their own perspective regarding the purpose for their products, but by the time I finally got to Randy I knew exactly what manufacturers and model names I was actually interested in. More importantly, I knew exactly what applications the dealer thought those models were used in (even though we would all be using them in soundrooms and theaters).

You'll find that the above list is a pretty good list of products you should be asking for in your first conversations. The dealers think that all the rockboard and the fiberglass board products referred to above are used for insulating commercial buildings.

As documented on Bobs Gold, there are a bunch of other products, like duct board for example, that work just fine for us. But my experience is, if you bring up these alternative products AND the commercial building insulation products in the same conversation, you'll just confuse the dealer and make him more resistive to helping you. I'd suggest if you need to explore these alternative products, do so in DIFFERENT conversations with the dealer.

Enjoy! :)

Kirk
Ro

Post by Ro »

thanx, so euh where you at? and where's that dealer at?
(welcome to this INTERNATIONAL forum Kirk) :lol:

Now, beam me up scotty...