Wall plate with headphone jack and volume control

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

MightyM

Wall plate with headphone jack and volume control

Post by MightyM »

Does anyone know of an off the shelf wall plate like this? I've seen one (RDL AF-SH1) that is the exact form factor I'm looking for, but it has an integrated amplifier, and is quite expensive. I'll be sending the signals from my headphone distribution amp at the console, so all I need is an attenuator in the wall plate to give the performers their own volume control.

The Whirlwind SAT-1 does what I'm looking for, but is a bit overkill for my application, and probably wouldnt look very nice stuck to the wall.

I suppose this could be done DIY fairly easily with some inexpensive parts, but I was hoping to save myself some work (I have enough to do with the rest of my studio build!).

Any suggestions?
EK Sound

Post by EK Sound »

The problem comes in with the impedance of the headphones. If they are all 8 ohms, you could mount stereo L-Pads on the plate and be done:

http://www.bcae1.com/lpad.htm

BUT, if you have 600 Ohm headphones, it won't work right because the imedances don't match.

Check your headphones to see what the different impedances are. If they are all the same, get an attenuator to match. Just make sure to get one beefy enough to handle the current going to the cans, or you will be replacing them frequently

Dave.