Remote computer control

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

Sandersd

Re: Remote computer control

Post by Sandersd »

Try a reverse KVM - whereas a KVM allows control of multiple computers from one "terminal" (i.e. keyboard, video, mouse), a reverse KVM allows control of one computer from several "terminals". Newegg has them.
Relax, life can be fun if you let it.
lilith_envy

Post by lilith_envy »

Does any one know if you can do it on an old ibook to G5 desk top?
inkspotproductions
www.bantamstudio.info
G-Sun

Post by G-Sun »

MightyM wrote:I would like the ability to control my computer located in the control room from my iso booth. My plan was to simply run DVI and USB extensions approximately 30 feet in order to hook up a keyboard, mouse, and monitor. After doing a bit of research, it appears that these digital cables aren't much good past 5 meters or 16.5'. I've seen some devices that convert the signals to run on CAT5, but they seem quite expensive.

Any suggestions for an inexpensive solution?
I'm thinking about this myeslf :)
malfunction wrote:Check this out:
http://www.prorec.com/Articles/tabid/10 ... fault.aspx

pretty cool! :lol:

-Tomi-
Dead link, but I understand the concept from posts after.
My only concern is that I currently are having two pc's on a (supposed to be) home-network. It's just that I can't get them online with each other. Win 7 64bit no. So, how well could I count on a third machine to control the second?
BriHar

Post by BriHar »

Built into Windows is a function called Remote Desktop Connection. I use this to control 2 PCs running XP (one which acts as a file server and has a complete mp3 library on it, plus a laptop running XP which connects over wireless to the router, plus a Printer also on wireless, all from my DAW running W7 64bit. I can in fact control any of the computers from any of the other PCs on the network.

But now ask yourself, do you really need to "control" the PC from the booth, or do you really want to control a DAW from the booth. If the latter is correct, there are apps for this available. I use a much simpler technique however - I have a separate numeric keyboard (which can run over RF or IR or even BT, but for me, cabled USB is sufficient) programmed with all the Key control functions I need for tracking and controlling the transport, punch-in/out etc.
Brian
As you slide down the bannister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way...