Remote computer control

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

MightyM

Remote computer control

Post by MightyM »

I would like the ability to control my computer located in the control room from my iso booth. My plan was to simply run DVI and USB extensions approximately 30 feet in order to hook up a keyboard, mouse, and monitor. After doing a bit of research, it appears that these digital cables aren't much good past 5 meters or 16.5'. I've seen some devices that convert the signals to run on CAT5, but they seem quite expensive.

Any suggestions for an inexpensive solution?
TomVan

Post by TomVan »

MightyM
Not sure how much you're willing to spend but there are many different styles of wireless controllers out there
http://www.frontierdesign.com/Products/TranzPort

Heres a start
Peace
Tom

Post by brianrcdd »

Also, don't write off the DVI/USB extension idea just yet. there are many extension solutions out there to do the job. My AV/VTC guy at work does it all the time in conference rooms, extending those signals up to ceiling mounted projectors and the like. I'll check with him and post the information. IIRC 30 foot is well within the range of some of his installations.
Brian

"Music with dinner is an insult both to the cook and the violinist." - G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936)
tarnationsauce

Post by tarnationsauce »

I have DVI running with a ~20ft extension cable along with USB. The USB cable leads to a hub that leads to a wireless mouse/keyboard dongle.
Everything works great, no degradation of video signal as far as I can tell. Just be sure to get a good shielded extension cable with ferrites.
MightyM

Post by MightyM »

I figured the 3 meter spec was probably on the conservative side. I've got 2" conduit to run my cables through, so if standard extension cables don't work out, I should be able to pull them out, connectors and all.

I'd still be curious to know if there is a low cost CAT5 converter system that would do the trick. Everything I have seen so far is approximately $200(US) and up.
malfunction

Post by malfunction »

Check this out:
http://www.prorec.com/Articles/tabid/10 ... fault.aspx

pretty cool! :lol:

-Tomi-
MightyM

Post by MightyM »

Holy Crap! :shock: Why didn't I think of that!
delusion

Post by delusion »

I was just going to suggest the remote desktop approach, but I see malfunction's link already covers it.

I use a macbook and remote desktop to control 3 computers. A Mac G5 running Logic and 2 Win XP PCs running virtual instruments and effects. I can say that it works great.

The other cool thing with a setup like this is that you can eliminate the multiple monitors if you're running multiple machines. In my case, I only occasionally need to access my PC slaves, so I just have them in a window on my OSX desktop when needed.
Ro

Post by Ro »

Funny, I was just about to hint you to MSTSC/RDP :)

Take another laptop, plug it in (wireless ofcourse) and start MSTSC (Microsoft Terminal Server Client) and connect to your host computer.
Make sure you have "remote control" enabled (computer props, remctr tab)

It's exactly how I do my remote recording :)
malfunction

Post by malfunction »

A few years back I was also looking for a remote when I found the article. Never crossed my mind before that.
The instructions could be made a sticky somewhere around the forum? :roll:
Ro

Post by Ro »

Why should they. If you press F1 in Microsoft Windows you get "help" which sure will guide you through... there are numerous articles on the net about remote-desktop features.

And there's good alternatives, has anybody tried VNC for example (it's been on the market for years and still unbeaten).
Eran

Post by Eran »

This thread is a must read!
Great solutions, saves me tons of time and money.

:D
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

malfunction

Post by malfunction »

Ro wrote:Why should they. If you press F1 in Microsoft Windows you get "help" which sure will guide you through... there are numerous articles on the net about remote-desktop features.

And there's good alternatives, has anybody tried VNC for example (it's been on the market for years and still unbeaten).
You are right about that but why would you buy VNC or something else since RD comes free with windows?

And you would be surprised how many people never even thought about this solution searching for a remote controller. That's why it would probably be a good sticky.
Ro

Post by Ro »

VNC is a free tool ;)
Remote Desktop in Windows acts like a Terminal Session while VNC, for example, takes over the current logged on Desktop user. In the studio context, RDP is a very good option. (It's buildin, it's handy and it works like a charm). That is, if you're the only one using that PC session.

With VNC, again for example, multiple ppl can view the same windows session....

cheers