isloating hvac system

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

telefunken

isloating hvac system

Post by telefunken »

the hvac system for my home is located in a room off to the right of my main tracking space. there is a hollow core door with slats for air now leading into the room and you can somewhat hear the sound of the hvac running. im assuming its an hvac im not entirely sure but either way ive been told that it needs the slats in the door in order to get air into the room so it can run. i plan on installing a solid core door and getting a vent or tube run from the outside into the hvac "room" so the unit has a supply of air. i will be installing the door, but the vent/hvac work will be done by a pro.

now my question. would 1 wall/1 solid core door [fully sealed with neoprene and a zero door bottom] be enough to isolate the sound of the hvac running? there isnt much room for a 2 wall/2 door construction unless i get really creative. the sound right now isnt that loud, sometimes you dont even notice it when in the room, but the mics often pick it up. any ideas?
rod gervais

Re: isloating hvac system

Post by rod gervais »

telefunken wrote:now my question. would 1 wall/1 solid core door [fully sealed with neoprene and a zero door bottom] be enough to isolate the sound of the hvac running? there isnt much room for a 2 wall/2 door construction unless i get really creative. the sound right now isnt that loud, sometimes you dont even notice it when in the room, but the mics often pick it up. any ideas?

1st things 1st - the noise may be coming through the door - the structure -or both.

You don't tell us exactly how loud or what the frequency of the noise is - so it's difficult to know whether the solution you have mapped out will work.

It's possible you could do all of this and still have trouble - or it's possible that a hollow core door could solve your problem.

We really need more information.

1 other item - is the door simply going to replace the existing - with the wall construction remaining the same - if the answer is "yes" - the describe the existing wall construction.

Rod
Ignore the man behind the curtain........
telefunken

Re: isloating hvac system

Post by telefunken »

You don't tell us exactly how loud or what the frequency of the noise is - so it's difficult to know whether the solution you have mapped out will work.
how could i go about finding out how loud the noise is and what frequency it is? its definately a low end rumble type noise. again im sorry for being so vague.

i have no idea if this helps, but if you walk about 20 ft away to the middle area of the basement, you can no longer hear the hvac running.
1 other item - is the door simply going to replace the existing - with the wall construction remaining the same - if the answer is "yes" - the describe the existing wall construction.
the entire wall frame around the door will be rebuilt, and constructed with sound isolation in mind. im going to seal all the gaps in the frame with acoustical caulk. its going to be 2x4 stud wall. im not that concerned with spending the extra money on a solid core door, because i already have the solid core door left over from another project. so even if its overkill its ok.

also the hvac "room" isnt finished its just concrete, and theres no ceiling either, and above the ceiling is the upstairs kitchen. so i figured id be safe sealing of the tracking room from this room, which hopefully will isolate the basement better from the upstairs.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Hey, Tele - if you have a first name it would be more friendly (also a credit card #, a bank account #, any valuable antiques laying around, etc :twisted: :twisted: ) Just kidding about that part, but a name would be cool, unless you just like Tele -

Anyway, I'm late for bed at the moment but just wanted to bump this up so I won't miss it again, I'll try to get to it tomorrow night when I have hopefully a little energy left to put into it - thanks for your patience... Steve
telefunken

Post by telefunken »

tele is fine. my real name is bill.

thanks for bumping up the thread. this studio construction has been a long and very draining process and ive gotten very little done, but ive learned a lot and im slowly getting it finished up.

if you could also weigh in on this thread as well that would be very apprecaited.

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1087

i dont know where id be right now without the help of you, rod, and ethan. the three of you are true godsends, and im very grateful.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Hey Bill - now if I could get you to update your profile with a general area of the world in the location box, I'd know whether I was recommending something you'd have to steal, or something that was affordable (been bitten by that one a few times in different areas of the world)

I'll try to get to this one tonight, thanks for holding on... Steve