Upgrading my Studio to 5.1 surround mixing Studio. PLS,HELP!

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

CoolSoundGuy

Upgrading my Studio to 5.1 surround mixing Studio. PLS,HELP!

Post by CoolSoundGuy »

Hello Friends,

I need some advises regarding upgrading my studio to a 5.1 recording and mixing studio. presently, i do stereo recordings with Steinberg Cubase 4 (Genuine Software) and Yamaha NS10M Studio monitors. my audio interface is Laya 24/96.

can anyone tell me, what are the additional equipments and the encoders for move to 5.1 mixing studio...?? do i have to buy the DTS encoder for my Cubase 4?

i'm looking forward to switch Tascam DM 4800 digital console. what is the best near field 5.1 monitor system you guys recommend? and what are the additional equipments i need for this..?? i just want to make sure what i exactly need for 5.1 surround mix Studio. do i need any receivers in addition to encoders. please be kind enough to send me some links if you know any, regarding building 5.1 studio.

Waiting for your response.

Thanx in advance,,

Warm Regards,

Malinda
M A L I N D A-CoolSoundGuy
EK Sound

Post by EK Sound »

Hello,

The only thing you really need to *mix* in 5.1, is the surround monitors and an audio interface capable of 6 simultaneous outputs. Each channel would be routed to an output and subsequent monitor speaker. Encoders are only used to create 5.1 mix files, but mostly, studios deliver "stems" (seperate files for each channel) to the authoring facility that is doing the "layback" to picture.

As for monitors, there are lots to choose from. The size and acoustics of your mix environment will dictate what monitor would work best, but you should use 5 identical speakers for this task (plus the sub of course).

Dave.