Wiring 1/4"and XLRs through a wall...

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

brianrcdd

Post by brianrcdd »

From a strictly scientific point of view, it's actually a fairly complex subject. Because we are talking about AC (alternating current) signals instead of DC (direct current), I improperly used the term resistance instead of impedance. Impedance ultimately leads to somewhat the same answer, but there are other variables in the mix, such as capacitive and inductive reactance. However, at audio frequencies and low (speaker) impedances, considerable length is required before these additional variables have a measureable effect on the signal.

If you really want to understand the difference between resistance and impedance, google around a little. There's plenty of information on the subject, but here's a starting point:

http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pages ... edance.htm

But to more directly answer your question, the resistance variable tends to be the predominant one in electrically short speaker cable lengths. So yes, attenuation of the overall level tends to be the concern. Change in quality of the signal? Not so much...

I'm sure there are folks out there that would disagree with my last statement. Feel free to get a second opinion.
Brian

"Music with dinner is an insult both to the cook and the violinist." - G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936)