Behringer ultracurve pro with studio monitors

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

Preludetojune

Behringer ultracurve pro with studio monitors

Post by Preludetojune »

used it?
Last edited by Preludetojune on Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
bananafish

DEQ2496

Post by bananafish »

Some buddies at MTU-AES use the DEQ2496 quite a bit on their speaker experiments and they sound pretty nice with it. Converting to digital and back to analog frazzles the sound a little to some ears, but it might be fine for you. Or you could use it as your D/A converter if you have some way to control the volume on the outputs.

The associated ECM8000 measurement mic by Behringer is pretty impressive. Someone I know tested it against an Earthworks measurement mic and they were VERY VERY close. Bafflingly close. How-did-Behringer-make-it-so-cheap close. Heard of people using it for recording even but it is quite noisy-fine for measurement though.

I had an 8024, a predecessor to the 2496 but it suddenly fried without warning. I guess what I'm saying is have a plan in case the 2496 dies one random day. It's behringer.

In my opinion, monitor DEQs can help for medium/small issues but make sure your room acoustics are good first as the DEQ can't tighten the reverberation of your room well. It will try though. What happens is an inconsistency between transient response and steady-state response.

Also when performing measurements move the mic around a bit in the mix engineer's sitting area while measuring, gently to avoid thumping. Having the mic in one spot will imprint a big comb filter effect and the whole thing will sound very un-cool.

Lastly, when feeling lost, use less processing.

Re: Behringer ultracurve pro with studio monitors

Post by 8068 »

I have used the DCX2496
Crossover with EQ. I was very surprised at how good it was.
I don't know beringer's line well or use any of their other products.
I was trying to improve a set of built in monitors, that had a horn tweeter.
This particular setup with this particular horn did not sound very good.
I added a TAD supertweeter and went to a triamp system .
People love to hate Berringer. In this case I was pleased.
and I hid the crossover in the back of the rack, and nobody ever complained.
Doubt I'd let a box eq my room though.
Brad