studio wiring with double isolated shields?

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

mr_durden

studio wiring with double isolated shields?

Post by mr_durden »

Hi folks,

I'm ready to start the wiring for my studio. Therefore I bought Sommercable "Galileo 238+" (balanced microphone cable) which has two counter-rotating spiral shields insulated separately with a non-conductive foil.

Does anyone has experience with isolated shields? Which is the best way to solder balanced connections (XLR-plugs to TT-Phones patchbays) with this type of cable? I thought about soldering the inner shield on both ends to XLR Pin1 resp. shield on the patchbay and solder the outer shield only on one end to XLR Pin1. Or do you think it is better to solder both shields on both ends, or do you have any other suggestions how to solder?

I have no concerns about wiring the racks, but some microphone connections to the nearby iso-booth are about 100ft (30m) long. And even worth I have to use a cable duct which is full of AC cables and 1Gbit Ethernet cables, so shielding seems to be very important.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Stefan